Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Thread: Direct Deposit

Default Direct Deposit

I was wondering if anyone dealing with Comp Services has been able to get direct deposit. Also, if anyone knows the criteria to be able to get on the list to get it. Still getting the run around from my lawyer and obviously I cannot contact them myself. Thanks a lot in advance.

Default Re: Direct Deposit

Direct deposit? If they did that they couldn't screw you around with late checks.

Go ahead and contact the CA/Claims Adjuster handling your benefits.
    The CA generally won't discuss the details of your claim when you have attorney, but question regarding your TTD should't be a problem...
    Just don't expect there to be a direct deposit program offered by the WC carrier... It's not so much about about 'screwing' around with your benefits...more to verifying you are signing the checks, that you are actually where you claim to be. If there were direct deposit, you could access the money in your account while on "vacation"...just one consideration why direct deposit isn't offered to IW's.
    Call the CA tomorrow...

From the second check I received back in 2007, up to the day of my last regular benefit check this past January 2011, I had nearly every single check direct deposited to my bank account. The only exceptions was for reimbursements, the two times I was sent penalty checks when the CA neglected to timely renew my auto-pay in the computer system, and my final settlement check as it was mailed to my AA for proper distribution. My final check was from my AA's escrow account with a copy of the check he received from the IC attached. Also for a very brief time when the IC changed my CA the new CA tried doing the old brick and mortar routine, (paper check in the mail), but I nipped that one in the butt after the first one came in the mail box. All subsequent checks were then put back on electronic direct deposit.

This was in Georgia and PA may well have different rules. However, I believe that in this day and age that electronic DD would be essential to all payments, be it a regular pay check or WC benefit check should make not one iota of difference.

Timothy Belt is an attorney that responds on this forum and I suggest that you shoot him a PM and get his take on it. I am certain he would know for sure if DD is an option in PA. And he might have advise for you as far as by passing your AA and speaking directly to the CA. My attorney did allow me to do this for the small stuff but he did ask me to notify him that it had taken place and limited details as to when and why. Again, I have a hard time believing that EDD is not a universal thing for all states.

Good Luck I hope it turns out that it is an option for you as it was for me.
    Last edited by SteelMagnolia; 12-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

To laborer LOL and so true! Thats the reason I had to find out if there was dd, my last check was 4 days late and came just in time for me to finish shopping for my sons birthday on his birthday. I did find out that quite a few carriers do have dd, comp services included. The only answer I got about it from my atty. was that I was not elgible. I tried calling comp services today and surprise surprise, couldnt get my adjuster on the phone. Another attempt at it tomorrow I guess. Thanks all for input

The state cannot force an IC to provide direct deposit, that would be completely voluntary by the ER/IC. Doesn't matter whether it's wages or WC benefits.
    The state can say a ER/IC 'may" provide this option, but not mandate it.

Owwmyback, Your right, I was just trying to inject a little humor into a serious problem for I/W's. I never know when my check will arrive. It can be late by a day or two, and sometimes 6 or 7 days. I have filed penalty petitions for checks that were two weeks late. By using the printed check system the I/C can print your check with a certain date and post mark it with their own mail inserting equipment, and then hold for days or even a week or two and then bulk drop ship them at post office or postal bulk processing center. The post office does not print a processing date on this type of mail, so there is no way for you to know when the post office actually received it. How do I know this? I used to work in the mail room of a large corporation and they did it all the time when paying bills. Keep fighting for the benefits you are intitled to.

I am aware that the state cannot force them to use dd. I am also aware the carrier I have does have it. What is really bothering me is that there is a list of people who are elgible for it and I am not. Why am I not ? I dont know. How to become elgible? I dont know. Comp services told my atty. that the commonwealth decides who can be on the list, the commonwealth told me that Comp services decides. I suppose I will just be greatful that the check that was to come before christmas came on time.