North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured North Carolina Workers

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• North Carolina Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Settlement Procedure

thinking about making a settlement with insurance company. what is the normal procedure and time frame?

Default Re: Settlement Procedure

Consulting with a certified WC attorney... that's the best place to start.

Normal procedure, is there is none. Settlement is up to the IC. If they want to settle they can make an attempt. You can ask, but you will probably get a laughed at offer. Best to hire an attorney who can deal with them for you. Settlement will always favor the IC in the long run, otherwise it would make no sense for them to settle, they don't have to do anything but pay benefits until they run out.

the ic has contacted me serveral times. this last time they finally had an amount which i though was only half of what i thought it should be. the ic said they would be willing to offer more as long has i could show them the numbers as to where it would be applied to. i have not contacted them back yet.

You NEED to consult with a certified WC attorney... if you don't, you could forfeit valuable benefits... WC is not a DIY project... even for the most savvy of IW's.

Every case is different. The "procedure" cannot be generalized to the point that I could post anything that would actually help you. If you get a lawyer make sure you get one who is very experienced in workers' comp. All comp lawyers will give you a free consultation, so interview several of them if you want to. Good luck. B
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law