Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default What Amount to Expect for a Settlement

Ok, here is my story in a nutshell. I am a 44 year old male who was laid off at his job and went to truck driving school to start another career. After about ten weeks of work at a local elevator I was injured on the job in July of 2010. A year and half later I have gone through ACDF surgery with the C5-C6 in February 2011, months of agonizing therapy in which I still cannot sleep a night without waking in major pain. Anyways, I see the dr at the end of this month in which I am sure he will release me MMI with permanent restrictions in which I will no longer be able to do my job as a driver at the elevator since there are so many other things involved with my work than just driving (lifting, climbing, driving for long periods of times, etc.)

My question is this: I receive $284 a week now for TTD, and was wondering what type of amount I should expect for settlement. I have reviewed all of the formulas but it is all Greek to me. Has anyone had this surgery and what type of restrictions did you have afterwards? Thanks for all those who reply, again I am clueless. I do have an attorney but he is very busy and is not really want to discuss anything until I am released by the doctor, but my curiosity is getting the better of me (Too much time on my hands I guess)

Default Re: I Am Clueless Aboout All This

I do have an attorney but he is very busy and is not really want to discuss anything until I am released by the doctor, but my curiosity is getting the better of me (Too much time on my hands I guess)
    Wait until you are released.
    That's when you start to think of how you might resolve this claim.
    Any settlement will be based on your recovery, not that of another IW, not good idea to make comparisions... you may be elated, or disappointed. You're likely to fall somewhere in the middle.
    Your atty remains the best source of info about your claim... he has the file, knows the process and should be answering your questions.
    Do not expect a huge cash settlement... WC doesn't pay out that way. You will have to think of some type of job you'd like to do, as you'll likely be offered VR services.

The IL WC handbook is here http://www.iwcc.il.gov/handbook020106.pdf, see chapter 9 for info on PPD benefits.