Iowa Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Iowa Workers

• Iowa Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Iowa Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Staying in Touch With Your Worker's Comp Doctor

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of:

I am planning on moving two hours away due to my spouses job. I was MMI six months ago with no fulltime job offer with my employer. My question is do I need to stay with my WC doc for follow ups? Not moving out of state. But looking at future surgery.

Default Re: Moving

This is not an employment issue... and if you'd provide your STATE, it would be easier to answer your question.

That being said... you are entitled to see a Dr within reasonable distance of your home. You are free to live where ever, in what ever state you choose.

Iowa: Thanks......so if and when problems arise from my injury w/c will pay for treatment and a Doc of my chosing? Or a doc that will accept WC patient.

Who chooses the Medical Care?
    The employer provides medical care reasonably suited to treat the employee’s injury, and has the right to choose the medical care. If the employee is dissatisfied with the care offered, the employee should discuss the problem with the employer or insurance carrier. In certain situations the employee may wish to request alternate care. If the employer, or insurance carrier, does not allow alternate care, the employee (through appropriate proceedings) may apply to the workers' compensation commissioner for alternate medical care. (85.27)

If the employer-retained physician gives a rating of permanent impairment, which the employee feels is too low, the employee does have a right to another examination by a doctor of the employee’s choice at the employer’s expense. (85.39)
    I don't know the status of your claim... if and when problems arise from my injury w/c will pay for treatment , you treat until your Dr determines you have reached stability/MMI...Max Medical Improvement.. then you are rated for PD/Permanent Disability benefits and the claim moves to some type of resolution. WC is not "health insurance" for the IW and your injury.
    There will eventually be a resolution to your claim. You should discuss your options with a WC attorney.
    Message board is not legal advice, and should not be used as a substitue.

You can find basic info on WC in IA here http://www.iowaworkforce.org/wc/faq.htm#chooses
    Last edited by BvIA; 02-13-2012 at 05:10 PM.