Default Damages for Workmans Comp Surgery of Carpal Tunnel

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Iowa, i worked at a plant in Iowa for 23 years and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my hands. I have already had surgery on my left hand and tomorrow will have the second surgery to my right hand. Do i need a lawyer to seek damages for the surgery to both my hands? I was told the doctor will score you at zero (no disability) and the company will not offer or award me damages after all the surgery is complete. Workman's comp is paying for all the medical costs and the company takes full responsibility for my injury. Its all documented. The former company uses " Galleger Bassit" as there legal partner for workman's comp claims.

Default Re: Damages for Workmans Comp Surgery of Carpal Tunnel

there are no damages in workers comp; it is not negligence based law.
    the doctor does not know beforehand how your impairment will rate until after you have reached maximum medical improvement.
    awards are not done by the employer but thru the work comp court.
    Gallagher Bassett is the name of a third party administrator.

you can get basic information about workers compensation in Iowa here
    http://www.iowaworkforce.org/wc/

I was told the doctor will score you at zero (no disability) and the company will not offer or award me damages after all the surgery is complete.
    Who is telling you these things ?
    The mere fact you had surgery, to any part of the body, would result in some % of impairment, or inability to compete in the open labor market (for WC purposes. The AMA guides to rating impairment/disability provide for a minimum of 3%. Which would amount to an "award"...may not be much, but that's not the underlying goal in WC.)

What damages are you seeking? It appears all your benefits are currently being provided. It is possible that you will not be given a permanent impairment rating but no one will know until the doctor places you at mmi.

jplp,

You need to do some reading my friend. Start by doing a search of Gallagher Basset on this forum then expand and move to yahoo or google. You will get to see the issue both ways.....you will see Gallagher Basset peddle their services as WC cost containment and then you will here the stories of what Cost containment means.....it means letting you die if they can. Read, read read and then some more. Thank god you have the internet and its not 1955.....oh and if you got enough good sense to be scared when you realize you are up against a mega million dollar corp. hired by your employer to spend as little for you as possible for you care then you may want to start shopping for a good lawyer. Best of luck.

Or just go to www.gallahgerbassett.com

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Or go to www.ajg.com as their parent company is Arthur J Gallagher Co.