California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Status Conference

Hi everyone, I have recieved an Notice of Hearing today and I am not familiar with the legal term. I am not represented by AA, have signed an stip with award. I was not expecting to go to court. Does anyone know what I may need to prepare for this hearing? I have Minutes of Hearing docs that reference some of my case issues. I just am wondering if this is normal WC a process. I have been negociating with the WC rep for a higher PD % if that is any help. Sally

Default Re: Status Conference

I have been negociating with the WC rep for a higher PD % if that is any help. Sally

have signed an stip with award.
    Has the Stipulation w/Request for Award been signed off by the judge?
    If that's a 'yes'... there is nothing to negotiate. You don't negotiate a rating with the CA... you go to PQME, then the DEU would rate.
    If that's a 'no', the judge has not signed off...you do not have a Stipulation/Award. Yes, you do have to attend the status conference, you are the party to the claim. Judge cannot make any decision at a status conference, are you sure this isn't a MSC/Mandatory Settlement Conference?

Talk to an I&A officer, get the facts, guessing on a message board isn't going to help you.

No Bvia, the judge has not signed off. I have been to a QME and have recieved summary rating. The Notice of Hearing says status conference. I have been negotiating with the IC rep. Something interesting maybe, the summary rating was 18% and now the rating is at 32% for PD. The IC seems very willling to compensate my negociations. I have spoken to I&A officers and a few consultations with an Attorney. They only say what they have too. I do not want to give an attorney the 12% when I am going to Stip.

I do not want to give an attorney the 12% when I am going to Stip.
    Information/advice specific to your claim is worth exactly what you pay for it.
    You don't know what a status confernce is, or what is entailed... message board discussion isn't going to change that.
    I have to imagine you pay rent based on what you think your home is worth, surely you aren't living in a cardboard box...

Well can't say I agree with all of that. I have an understanding thanks to you and the other resources that are available to me. I am grateful for the help. Just want to learn abit about a status conference and how I should be prepared without an AA. I want to handle this conference on my own. Sally

Tell ya what...here is a post by complwyr in the Hawaii forum...
    Going to court without a lawyer is not a real clever thing to do if you are not trained as a lawyer and do not know how to try cases in court. Even inexperienced licensed lawyers can look like fools in court. I tried a comp case recently against a lawyer who has been practicing for less than 3 years and that lawyer did not know what he was doing in court. The judge was getting more and more irritated with that lawyer as the trial went on and the young lawyer kept screwing up.

At the end of the trial, the judge announced how he was thinking about the issues in the case. The judge revealed that the inexperienced lawyer was basically getting nothing good from the judge for his client. Why? Because the inexperienced lawyer had done a poor job of presenting the evidence on behalf of his client. His client is therefore going to lose.

If you can do better than an inexperienced lawyer, then you may win. It is not impossible. But don't count on it. If you have a decent case don't screw it up by representing yourself. If you have a decent case, then you have something to lose. Your best bet is to hire the best work comp lawyer you can.
    You can't get better info than from a well seasoned, certified WC attorney.

I have an understanding thanks to you and the other resources that are available to me....no message board is a good substitute for valid legal advice. If I were you... I consult with at least one or two WC attys. www.caaa.org for names in your zip code.

Thank you BvIA!