Default Federal Ss Disability Benefits of 17k Approved and Coming My Way

SSD claim was made in the State of: California

My case was approved late last week after seeing an ALJ 3 years after my case was submitted to my lawyer. I received $17,200 and full health insurance from the federal government. I was told the check would be sent to my lawyer, they will take their 12% cut, and the rest will be sent to me. I do not trust Binder and Binder, how long will it take for me to get my money, and should I have any problems?

I also get $726 / mo.

Thanks!
    -Sonic
    Last edited by sonicassault; 03-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Default Re: Federal Ss Disability Benefits of 17k Approved and Coming My Way

Always difficult when someone says "I was told....".

SSA sends you an award/decision letter, outlining the amount of retro benefits, the monthly entitlement, and date you can expect the EFT/Electronic Funds Transfer, or check to be sent. That letter should also indicate the amount of any attorney fees approved.
    Generally your decision letter comes about 30 days after the hearing/judge makes the decision.
    I haven't heard of a check being sent to the attorney, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

You didn't get "full health insurance", you got Medicare eligibility, there are out of pocket costs associated with using Medicare. Deductibles, and copays you pay on approved Medicare charges. Medicare doesn't pay 100%.

Contact Binder/Binder with your specific concerns on when you can expect to see your check. Why would you begin not to trust them now ? Doubt a law firm would attempt to screw a beneficiary out of 17K when their license/name and reputation would be on the line.

To me its "full" health insurance... paying a copay is nothing compared to being completely without insurance.

Ive had four Binder contacts since I started this process, all of which have a major stick up their ass, wouldnt even slow down while reciting information so I could write it down (I had a stroke and cant use my dominant hand). They get paid $8/hr and constantly wanted doctor information which I didnt have. Their "office manager" was even a bitch, asking why I hadnt seen a neuro... even though they had a rejection letter on file stating I was not eligible for county sponsored medical insurance... because my wife actually has a job, low paying (they looked at my bank statements).

I ended up paying cash out of my pocket to see a review neurologist, which I barely had money for.

Theyre fu<ktards, DO NOT USE BINDER. Why would they be concerned about their reputation, theyre huge... they take 30% of disability cases in CA. I am nothing. I have no voice. I blocked every binder number that ever called me, I cant get through the multiple levels of low paid people to talk to someone who knows wtf is going on.
    Last edited by sonicassault; 03-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Here in NC that firm accepts cases from their TV ads then "associates" lawyers in other firms to do the cases. The lawyer who actually handles the case then shares the fee with B&B. Is that what happened in your case? And the lawyer fees check will come separately made out to the lawyer who represented you. It comes out of your back due benefits but it is paid separately to the lawyer.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law