Default What Does MMI Mean

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: new york
    Hi my name is charlotte and I have been on workmans comp for one year. I have a ankle injury and doctor has me at 50 percent disable. He wants to do surgery but my regular doctor wants me to wait so he said i am at mmi wha does that mean? Will my checks stop I ewally can not afford to not get a check, If anyone can help please

Default Re: What Does MMI Mean

MMI is Maximum Medical Improvement. In TN once a doctor sets you at MMI because he feels he has done all he can for you then the IC will stop your checks. I do not know the laws in New York but I will assume that they are close when it comes to this part of the workers comp process. I will pray for you to be well soon.

Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI)

What is MMI?

As an injured worker, you may reach a point in your recovery called maximum medical improvement (MMI). This means your condition has stabilized and further functional improvement is unlikely, despite continued medical treatment or physical rehabilitation.
    For example, if you lose an eye as a result of an accident, continued medical treatment will not restore it. MMI refers to your allowed conditions and is not related to your ability to return to work.Under Ohio’s workers’ compensation law, once the physician of record determines you have reached MMI, BWC must terminate temporary total (TT) compensation. However, medical treatment needed to maintain the stability of your condition may continue in your claim. If at a future date you become temporarily and totally disabled, you may be entitled to TT benefits again.

What happens next?

If your TT compensation ends because of MMI, you may be entitled to other benefits such as:

Rehabilitation — You may be entitled to a variety of return-to-work programs, including rehabilitation services;

Wage loss — If, because of physical restrictions resulting from your work-related injury, you return to work at a lower wage or with less hours, you may be eligible for working wage loss. If you cannot find a job within your physical limitations, you may be eligible for nonworking wage loss;

Percentage of permanent partial disability — BWC provides compensation for permanent partial damage that results from the work-related injury;

Lump sum settlement — You may be able to receive a lump sum payment for your claim(s);

Permanent total disability — If you cannot return to any form of employment because of your work related injury, you may be eligible for permanent total benefits. The IC makes this decision.
    http://www.ohiobwclaw.com/thecompens...ocess/mmi.html

Although this is an Ohio link, the description is universal.

Tony

Last edited by tony; 03-05-2012 at 11:15 PM.
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm

Morning Tony. I think the OP is from NY not Ohio.
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

Thanks for the help my orthapedic doctor said i nees surgery but my regular doctor wants me to waut because of other hwalth issues@ I have an appt on friday with the orthopeic doctor and he said u have to give him a answer then if i dont do the surgery now he is going to say I am mmi but I dont want to rush into anything.

Quote Quoting SteelMagnolia View Post
    Morning Tony. I think the OP is from NY not Ohio.
    I know, the definition is universal.

Tony
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm

Quote Quoting cbuttle45 View Post
    Thanks for the help my orthapedic doctor said i nees surgery but my regular doctor wants me to waut because of other hwalth issues@ I have an appt on friday with the orthopeic doctor and he said u have to give him a answer then if i dont do the surgery now he is going to say I am mmi but I dont want to rush into anything.
    You need to talk to your attorney about this... your wage replacement benefits may be affected if you delay treatment/surgery. If you don't have an attorney, you should seriously consider a consultation with a few.

Quote Quoting tony View Post
    I know, the definition is universal.

Tony
    Got ya. Thanks
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.