Nevada Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Nevada Workers

• Nevada Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Nevada Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Settlement Amount for Spine Injury, Disc Disease

I was injured in April of 2009, I have a disc bulge L5-S1, degenerative disease, and arthritis in the joints of my spine. I have pain all the time in my low back, radiating down through my legs. I was injured working for wal-mart, I lifted a box wrong and that's how my injury started. I haven't had surgery, but have had 2 epidural injections, as well as gone through physical therapy, and various rounds of medications. They put me at MMI, and then scheduled a PPD settlement exam. I was rated at 6%, and given a settlement offer of $10,000. I myself think this is totally wrong. I just turned 22 years old, so I'm going to be dealing with this injury, and pain for 50+ more years which may require more MRI's, possible surgery, medications, physical therapy, etc. Does this amount, and rating sound bad to you? I am not being represented by a lawyer, is it too late to get one? And should I get one? What could/would he do for me, he can't affect the amount of my settlement right? I'm so confused and need some advice on if this settlement amount sounds like total BS, or if I should take it? I mean one MRI is $5,000 dollars, and that alone would take up my whole settlement. PLEASE HELP!

Default Re: Settlement Amount

You did NOT say what state this is in and it would be VERY helpful to know that. But in general only you can determine IF $10K is worth selling your future medical and any other benefits you are eligible for. Getting an attorney for settlement issues is almost ALWAYS the best thing to do. But that depends on your personal circumstances.
    Your ER is notorious for getting people to sign off on settlements, selling FM, and then kicking them to the curb. Be careful in deciding IF you are going to settle or not. They can NOT force you to settle nor can they force you to sell out for your FM.
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

Sorry! I was injured in Nevada...

I just turned 22 years old, so I'm going to be dealing with this injury, and pain for 50+ more years which may require more MRI's, possible surgery, medications, physical therapy, etc.
    In resolving a WC claim, you are entitled to the PPD indemnity benefits associated with your PD rating...there is no guarantee of a cash settlement to close a claim. Nor are you entitled to cash for future medical care.
    If you feel you may require additional medical... don't close the medical coverage in this claim.

You can find info on NV WC here http://dirweb.state.nv.us/WCS/employee.htm. There is also a link to the NV Atty for IW's info/contact.