Default Understanding a MRI Report

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Wyoming

Had a head, neck, back injury back in 2010 i was 27 when it happened having a hard time understanding the MRI reports? Cervical mri shows all disks normal except c7-t1 shallow disk bulge, t1-t2 shallow broad-based disk protrusion. Mild effacement of the ventral thecal sac, the neural foramina are patent. Mild facet degenerative changes bilaterally

Thoracic MRI. Shows mild central disk protrusion at t3-t4. Effacement of the ventral thecal sac. Flattening of the cord focally at this level. CSF does surround the cord posteriorly. Shallow central disk protrusion at t4-t5. Shallow right paracentral disk protrusion at t5-t6 with a moderate right paracentral protrusion at t6-t7. Shallow central protrusion/bulge at t7-t8

Lumber MRI shows all disks normal except L4-L5mild disk bulge somewhat asymmetric to the left. Mild inferior neural foraminal narrowing is demonstrated with slight contact of the exiting left L4 nerve root
    The conus demonstrate normal morphology and signal characteristics, terminating posterior to T12-L1

Have been in constant pain since injury, all doctors keep doing is trying different anti inflammatory meds and muscle relaxers every few weeks

---------- Post added at 07:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:46 PM ----------

First main question is. Is this normal from an equipment accident? Never had neck or back problems before. Are the doctors messing around by only changing meds every few weeks? Should they be trying different options?

Default Re: Understanding Mri Report

request a second opinion.
    you can also submit a written request for a change of doctor.
    information for changing is here
    http://wyomingworkforce.org/job-seek...claims.aspx#MB

Yea its a pain management clinic that my primary care doctor referred me too, i am just tired of the months and months of absolutely no progress on getting better

Only a spine doctor is really qualified to answer your causation question. I am not. But I have dealt with a lot of spine docs over the years and had a lot of MRIs explained to me. You have a disk impinging on nerves at two different levels, and it is no wonder you are having symptoms. You are quite young to have any serious DDD (degenerative disk disease); I took the deposition of a fellowship trained spine surgeon last week and he commented that everyone over the age of 25 has some degree of DDD, but my best guess is that if the mechanism of your injury in the accident and the timing of your symptoms are consistent with the accident, most spine surgeons would be willing to draw the causal connection to at least some of these injuries.

Focal point flattening of the spinal cord at T3-4 is potentially a significant problem, as is the "slight contact" with the exiting L4 nerve root in your lumbar region. The L4 disk can be operated on if it gets worse or is refractive to conservative treatment but the docs typically do not operate on thoracic disks unless it is an emergency. Contact can wear off the outer coating of the nerve and increase your symptoms. Having CSF posteriorly near the flattened area of the cord is probably a good thing as it suggests there is not much if any contact between the soft tissue of the disk and the spinal cord, at least when you are lying down like you were in the MRI. Hopefully you can see your spine doc soon and he can explain all this to you. There are only so many options for treatment. Meds, injections, physical therapy, surgery. Good luck. www.WebMD may enlighten you more about these conditions, check it out.
    Last edited by complwyr; 03-14-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

Thanks complwyr.

They actually tried an epidural injection at the t4-t5 level. Which i didn't notice any change from it. Just not sure exactly what to do since the IC handling my employers side of everything has terminated my LTD. claims i am fine nothing in the t spine or c spine MRI that wd cause me to be unable to perform my job duties, the lumbar MRI was just done yesterday, workmens comp had an IME done on February 15th and they haven't gotten the doctors report back yet!

According to my PTP the lumbar MRI shows arthritis and bone spurs pinching a nerve?? That doesn't sound right to me after what the actual report reads?

If PTP looked at the actual MRI films then his reading of it is probably not inconsistent with the report you posted. Arthritis is degeneration. Bone spurs could be causing some of the other findings. But if your PTP is NOT a spine surgeon, I would still insist that a spine surgeon look at it too.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

According to the image place and my PTP he only got the radiologists report?

Radiologists are "doctors" who interpret the MRI films... Dr's rely on these reports as a diagnosis. Not all Dr's are adept at reading an actual MRI or even X ray films.

Discuss your concerns with your treating physician.

If all he got was the report then he got what you posted. He would then be using different terms to describe the same things. A spine surgeon normally insists on seeing the actual MRI film and making his own determination of what it shows, often before even reading the radiology report. So you may get a different diagnosis from a spine surgeon.