Unhappy How Long Does an Insurance Company Have to Respond

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: VT

Hello, a few weeks ago my Dr. took me out of work completely (until at least May) and filled in FMLA forms that my employer requested. My employer then communicated with the claims adjuster reguarding using workers comp. insurance to cover my salary while I am not working. I followed up with my employer to see how things were going and if there was anything the Insurance Company would need from me. They said that they had just spoke with the insurance company and the claim is now being handled by a different claims adjuster there, and that I should hear soon. On Friday I got the name of the new CA and contacted her directly to ask if there was anything that I needed to do for her or if she could give me any other info. She said she is still reviewing the case and will get back to me.

Does anyone know if the insurance company has any sort of time limits they have to respond within? I am going to try contacting them again tomorrow, but figured I'd check here until then.

It's been over 3 weeks now and I have not received any pay and finances are getting very tight.

Thank you very much.

PS. I should probably state that this is a 1.5 year old WC case and up until this point I have not had many issues with insurance.
    Last edited by cvb; 03-19-2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: PS

Default Re: How Long Does Ic Have to Respond

It's been over 3 weeks now and I have not received any pay and finances are getting very tight.
    PS. I should probably state that this is a 1.5 year old WC case and up until this point I have not had many issues with insurance.
    What benefits have you been receiving up to now?
    What notice have you rec'd when your benefits stopped?

What attorneys have you consulted?

They have paid all of my medical bills without issue up until about a month or so ago. I had used Sick/Personal time for any time off I needed (which I understant I may not have had to do, but this isn't my main concern at this point).

I received a Denial Letter for 3 Dr's visits that I had at the beginning of February, but I have had additional treatment since that I believe they covered as I have not heard anything saying that they didn't.

I haven't received any other notices.

I did contact a WC attorney and we spoke a couple of times on the phone. He said at this point I may not need his services, but wanted to meet with me in person to discuss and said there is a good chance that I could need one in the future depending on how WC handles future bills. He is about an hour or so away from my house, and happens to be right near where my treating physician was sending me for something called physiatry (I probably spelled that wrong). At the time I spoke with him I was waiting on confirmation of my first appointment and he said to make it easier we could just meet then. Unfortunatly now, about a week later, physiatry is still waiting on approval from WC insurance. I just found this out today and called the Attorney back. He's out of the office for about an hour but is supposed to return my call when he's in. I have a feeling things are going to get worse since a few things have changed since last night when I posted this.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cvb; 03-20-2012 at 10:27 AM.

Curious.... You are seeing a physiatrist.....what is your injury?

Curious.... You are seeing a physiatrist.....what is your injury?
    I have not been able to see the physiatrist yet, however when I do it will be to treat occipital neuralgia, cluster headaches, and neck problems that I have had since the accident I had.

Well I'm still waiting to hear from the insurance company. It's been about a month now of no contact. I contacted an attorney a little over a week ago but so far I haven't heard any positive news. I have a feeling they (the lawyers) are very busy and it's going to be hard to keep regular contact. However, out of the 10 or so firms that I called, this one was the quickest to get back to me and follow up with me.

The last real correspondence I had with the insurance company was back in February. They sent me a denial letter for a couple of Dr's visits stating that it was not related to my original injury. I did end up getting a signed letter from the Dr. stating that this was indeed related to me original injury.

Those bills remain unpaid, and so do the ones for several other visits I have had to different places since. Since I am out on FMLA and not working, and they still have not reimbursed any of my wages, I don't have any way to pay these bills.

I plan on calling the billing dept's tomorrow to let them know what is going on. I have also read about an attorney sending a letter for you as well, so I will see what he says.

I have virtually perfect credit from years of working hard and being responsible and now I'm afraid it's going to be ruined. This is obviously not top priority, but it's still another thing to add to the list of issues this injury has caused.

You should not be receiving any bills for treatment to your injury. |Even though there is a denial... your atty can file for a hearing on the disputed matters.
    Notify ALL of the providers you have treated with that services provided are for a work related injury, and NOT to bill you OR report to any of the three credit reporting agencies.
    Check your credit report regularly...notify of any reporting and challenge it... your credit score cannot be affected while any of the disputed billing is investigated.

Thank you very much. This info is very much appreciated. I will be calling a couple of billing depts. in the morning.