Ohio Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Ohio Workers

• Ohio Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Ohio Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Angry Moving to Arizona

My claim is filed in Ohio but I am interested in moving to Arizona. How will this affect my claim? I am currently getting TTD and have not reached MMI yet. Just had spinal surgery. Should I eventually apply for PPD before the move? Can I continue this claim from AZ if I plan on flying back to Ohio if needed? How often will that need to be done if I choose NOT to settle the claim?

Default Re: Moving to Arizona

Not a good idea to move/relocate while you are still actively treating an injury.
    Your claim will continue to be administered, and goverened by the laws of OH.
    You should find/locate a Dr willing to treat you to OH standard, fee schedule, and cooperate with the OH reporting mandates.

You aren't likely to receive mileage/travel reimbursement to return to OH to treat your injury, but you would for any medical/legal evaluations...ie. IME appts.
    You would not be reimbursed for any required court appearances.

Once you reach MMI, are rated for PPD indemnity purposes, those benefits would be paid, regardless of where you live.
    You may still be required to participate in any job search requirements. You dont ''apply'' for PPD, those benefits are paid once you are rated... those benefits are your "settlement''.

Cash lump sum settlement is not a choice, but a negotiated settlement.
    You should discuss your options with a WC attorney before you make any decisions to relocate.

It's not easy to find Dr's out of state to accept you as a patient, they have enough to deal with in their own WC systems than to have to deal with out of state mandates. AZ providers are not subject to OH laws. That could have an adverse affect on your treatment, and/or continuing benefits.

Not worried about getting reimbursed for travel, etc. I am willing to find appropriate work in AZ, just need to know if it is possible to keep claim open and live there. How often will returning to Ohio be needed? I have an excellent WC attny in Ohio.

The hardest part will probably be finding a doctor in AZ who is willing to see you under Ohio w/c rules and payments.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

talk to your lawyer about this.
    i would wait till mmi at least.
    i have had mco tell me once in alaska that if i moved out of state before claim is complete they would drop me and that would be it.

I do not have a problem staying until mmi. I would like to know what the average time frame is. I also can fly back to Ohio for any court or Dr apts. as long as they are not super frequent. Even four times a year isn't too bad. I ahve family here.

I do not have a problem staying until mmi. I would like to know what the average time frame is.
    There is no average time... much of how your claim moves is based on your treatment/recovery.

There are no timeframes for court/hearings etc. WC is full of litigation, appeals, and wait time.