Default How Many Have Had Back Surgery and Did It Work

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: California

I didn't want back operation. I sometimes wonder if I should have, but with my own health issue's ect I decided against it. I know that there are many different problems with the lumbar and each person has their own story. My question is, If you had a back operation, did it help? Did it help short term with pain coming back over a period of time? If the pain did come back when did it come back, the pain? If you didn't have operation what do you do to help your mobility in your daily life.

I suffer from many issue's with my back and on the bad day's I often what other people do to help with pain ect.
    Thank you

Default Re: How Many Have Had Back Surgery/ Did It Work

Back surgery is so reliable that pain management doctors often find themselves treating a condition they call "failed back surgery syndrome." But everyone is different.

This is a conversation you need to have with your back surgeon.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

i had an idet proceedure done 6 years ago. this is where they stick needles in bad area of back and apply electricity to burn nerves and blood vessels. i did have a choice of that or fusion. it helped alot with the pain i was suffering from but it turned out to be a short term thing now i need fusion and cant wait. once you have a major back problem it gonna be a lifetime ordeal for most people.

This is a hard question to answer as everyone reacts differently. A lot of factors are involved to include your general overall health, the extent of the issues, and the qualifications of the doctor. I had a severe disc herniation at l4-5 with numbness into my right leg and foot with the development of drop foot. Surgery was required due to the severity of the disc herniation. I have had an excellent result in spite of some residual foot and ankle numbness. This was to be expected due to the signficant damage done.

GVDINA,

I had back surgery and I am thankful every single day that I did. I have zero pain, my back feels better than ever. After surgery I went to physical therapy and yoga. I find that by stretching each morning and evening plus walking really helps. The thing is most people have surgery and expect a miracle to happen. You are responsible for your body and a surgeon can only do so much. So, I say have the surgery and exercise. I have a neck injury and the exercise helps that as well. The only pain meds I take are advil. Good luck and I hope this helps. BDPINZ

I am 49 years old and had my surgery 1 year ago today, C5,C6,C7 using two cadaver bone graphs. I have never smoked and stayed away from anti-inflammatory’s during the healing period. At 6 months I was showing signs of slow healing, the graphs were not taking. Today’s x-rays show the same (1 year) and both bone graphs show spitting/cracking towards the front half of the bone implants, not a good sign, they are not wanting to fuse………My next step is a cat scan to determine the amount of movement of the graphs in relation to the vertebra, my options are limited, either leave it as it is and monitor further healing while restricting my physical day to day work load further, or another surgery from the rear of the neck to perform a secondary fusion in which I understand is much more post op painful :/……..I asked if I might have caused this damage to the bone graphs by physically over doing it to early and my surgeon said that is not the problem, his opinion is that I am one of the unlucky 10% that the surgery does not take, I am kind of in limbo….I do recommend the surgery, it did solve my initial problems and saved my left arm (I had a nerve being crushed) but is not without risks.
    My wife had the same surgery between C5 & C6 and she is fine so you just don’t know, wish me luck….Jaymz

I believe a lot depends on your age. My son had the same surgery at 29 that my husband had at 59. My son was cured, needed no pain meds 3 weeks after surgery. My husband had to go back for more surgery, in on serious pain meds. He is on SSD and we hope close to a settlement on the WC case.

Hello,

When I had my surgeries I had bone graphs taken from my hips and twelve vertebra's fused. Five in my neck C2-C6 and seven in my back T5-T12. My parents were told I would die. due to these injuries and the many other I suffered. I had eighteen surgeries in six months and was in halo traction for those six months. I now have a very active life. I believe it is my positive attitude and the fact that I continue to exercise daily. My surgeons did an outstanding job, but I am responsible for maintaining my health and keeping my body in the best shape possible. Like I said earlier, surgery only takes you so far. I went to physical therapy for six years straight to gain motion from the fusions. Anything is possible but you have to work at it. I still have pain, and could just give up. I refuse to do that. Just remember, there is always someone who is worse off. When I hurt, I just think of people who would give anything to feel my pain and be able to walk. So, I just suck it up and live life.