Default Is Workers Comp Responsible for Drug Addiction

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Florida

19 months ago I was injured on the job. I have a SLAP tear in the shoulder and require surgery. However, my thyroid levels are preventing me from being okay'd for surgery. I do not believe my thyroid will ever be the number that it needs to be for surgery. I have been on pain medicine for 19 months now, Ultram and muscle relaxers. I take them every 4 hours. They make me drousy and dizzy. I have not been back to work yet (I am special ed teacher--or was before I was attacked by a student and injured). My doctor now says I can return to work and only take meds at night---even though I am in SEVERE pain! (I believe this decision is due to WC pressing him) I also believe that I am addicted to the pain pills and muscle relaxers. I don't think I can function without them, and know that the pain is so severe without them I am going to be working light duty but will be crying the whole time due to the pain and am not allowed to take pain pills while at the school. My question is, since this injury has got me addicted to pills, is WC responsible for paying for treatment for drug dependency if I enter a rehab and will they continue to pay my benefits if I have to enter rehab?

Default Re: Is WC Responsible for Drug Addiction

Why do you think you are addicted to the pills? If you are in severe pain without them I don't think the need to take them is an addiction.

My question is, since this injury has got me addicted to pills, is WC responsible for paying for treatment for drug dependency if I enter a rehab and will they continue to pay my benefits if I have to enter rehab?
    Addiction and dependency are entirely different matters...while rehab for addition may be provided under WC, it's not likely for the meds you are taking. Ultram/Tramadol is a synthetic medication, used in place of opiate based drugs to treat pain. Not generally addictive, but may be subject to dependency.
    Talk to your pain management Dr about changing meds, there may be one more effective to treat your pain.

They keep changing my pain pills...I have been on Hydrocodone, Vicodin, and Tramadol. Also, Soma and Flexerill. Right now am on Tramadol and Flexeril. I have tried to stop but pain is severe and haven't been able to. ALso, when I did try I had bad reactions: sweating, vomiting, and pain was horribly intense. I also has severe tightness in my chest. WC won't approve pain managment clinic or injections, and shoulder Dr now ways to work and WC that I can take meds only at night and go back to work. How can he say this when he has no clue how bad the pain is. I can't have surgery and there is no help in the near future. Have no idea how I will get through Monday without pain meds! Any suggestions?

Are there any other things that make you feel relief? Heat? Ice? Topical gels like bio freeze? Sitting/standing in a certain way? You only have a short time to experiment if you return on monday. What about an extended release med? You can ask for that.

Im on meds and i do from time to time take the weekend off from them to see how i feel. I will use alterntives to help until i go back on the meds.

I hope you find something. Wish i could be more helpful."

Addicts are not typically aware that they are addicts.

Quote Quoting misslisgirl View Post
    They keep changing my pain pills...I have been on Hydrocodone, Vicodin, and Tramadol. Also, Soma and Flexerill. Right now am on Tramadol and Flexeril. I have tried to stop but pain is severe and haven't been able to. ALso, when I did try I had bad reactions: sweating, vomiting, and pain was horribly intense. I also has severe tightness in my chest. WC won't approve pain managment clinic or injections, and shoulder Dr now ways to work and WC that I can take meds only at night and go back to work. How can he say this when he has no clue how bad the pain is. I can't have surgery and there is no help in the near future. Have no idea how I will get through Monday without pain meds! Any suggestions?
    Hydrocodone, vicodin and flexerill (and probably soma too) are basically the same drug. I say stop worrying yourself sick about it, you can't stop it, you are going to have to report to work and not on drugs, although I am not understanding why you cannot take the tramadol while working if your doctor is prescribing it, I had no problems, and took it while in physical therapy, work hardening, and light duty, and they all knew I was taking it. If you cannot do the job, then you return to your doctor and discuss it with him. He is the one who is calling the shots on your return to work at this point, you have to at least try to follow his recommendations. Worst thing that could happen is they can't work with you in light duty, they terminate you, then you are still going to have to find work, which will suck as you probably have some sense of job security and you know the system where you are. You are never going to retire off of Workman's comp benefits, there is no money here. Sadly, like most of us, you will make less money then you did before your injury, life isn't fair- either is workman's comp.

Try going back to work. Show them you can't if you can't. That's the only thing that works with some of these clueless bozos. The truth. Yes, its scary being off the pills. You are terrified of the some of probably the worst pain in your life you have ever experienced. So you take pills to keep IT at bay, not because you enjoy the feeling the pills give you. It sounds like most likely you fear the PAIN returning than you fear dependency. I feel for you!

If you can't do daily activities without pain, why should your job get the best of your focus? Why should your entire life be narrowed down to giving your best focus only to a job, when the rest of your life is lost in some pain pill induced hell where you cannot function enough even to get up and go the bathroom at times? Forget it. That's not life. That's existence, like some plant or a shoe. To be used. We are HUMAN BEINGS, not objects to be brought out for 8 hours, used, then tossed aside until the next day! Show them the truth so they can't deny it, and the only way to attempt to is do what they demand! Go with an attitude of making THEM prove YOU wrong, not you prove them wrong. You want me back to work without pain meds? Fine! But when I PROVE ME RIGHT, better admit it or there's gonna be hell to pay! Stop being a victim. THAT is within your power. Nobody elses.

In case no one noticed, this thread was started almost 6 months ago. I'm sure the original poster has resolved the issue by now.