Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Workers Comp Settlement

I was injured at work 2 years 8 months ago and counting.

I have had 2 surgeries plus 2 medical procedures and over a year of rehab. I am unable to work due to intolerable pain, limited use of predominant hand and the fact that the prescribed meds leave me feeling completely out of it - to the point that I am unable to drive. I am on my 13th different pain medication to date.

I have been on TTD since 2 months from my original injury date. I did attempt to go back to work (just over a year and half ago) and was only able to last 2 months. During these 2 months I was going thru a prescribed amount of pain medication in 2 weeks for a 4 week supply, plus using previous pain meds that I had been prescribed. I desperately wanted my life to return to normal and assumed that I could handle the pain and the amount/abuse of meds I was taking. I was wrong. This coupled with how I felt felt after my work week, I contacted my attorney and went back on TTD payments.

I have been to (3) IME's and the last 2 were with doctors who didn't even review my medical reports prior to my visit. Both have made absurd recommendations, lied within the reports(stating they did tests and asked questions that they didn't). The last doctor (though has dealt with nerve damage) is primarily a plastic surgeon dealing with micro-derm abrasions and breast augmentations. He suggested that 3 months with a particular pain medicine was not long enough and I should try again. Besides not dealing with the pain "my body" felt worse being on this drug. I am concerned because both my attorney and my treating physician (pain management) said it is typical that insurance companies will have doctors "in their pockets", minimizing any trauma/condition.

I have requested that my attorney send a settlement letter as after this time I have exhausted all savings and the TTD payments barely cover necessities. I am lost and not sure what I should do? I am unsure/doubtful that I will be able to return to work as both the IME's and my treating physician state that additional procedures will not be effective. Pain management is the suggested course of action from the docotrs. Though the IME doctors have not said I have reached MMI. I can only assume this is because the insurance company is paying them and they naturally "agree" with the company paying them? Ultimately I would prefer not to settle now but financially I have exhausted all savings and have even borrowed money in two separate occasions. My debt has grown, my income(TTD) has remained the same.

Is it an option in Illinois to have both a lump payment and PTD payments?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you

Default Re: Workers Comp Settlement

Is it an option in Illinois to have both a lump payment and PTD payments?
    No... one would cancel the other. PPD is paid lump sum in lieu of weekly cash benefits.
    Have you considered applying for SSDI ? That process can take a year or more, and you have only 5 years from your last date worked to begin the application process.

put in for ssdi... depending on your age will probably have weight in the time they approve it. i was almost 61 and they approved mine quite quickly. i figure i paid into the system for 40 or more years so theres money in it for me i have a friend who was in early 40's he had to go to court to have his approved.. good luck and YES the IME doctors are PAID by the i/c to put down what the i/c wants. no one really disputes a doctor. especially another doctor.

how do you get more than one ime . i just recieved and ime and im still in therapy and on crutches, this dr was very ignorant and had me in tears several times , he pretty much lied and sad all my troubles were psychological, i just cudnt belive it, and saying that my fall at work did not cause any of my conditions , how can they do this ,i dont know what to do know, and in north dakota you can t even get an attorney

Quote Quoting hopenprayer View Post
    how do you get more than one ime . i just recieved and ime and im still in therapy and on crutches, this dr was very ignorant and had me in tears several times , he pretty much lied and sad all my troubles were psychological, i just cudnt belive it, and saying that my fall at work did not cause any of my conditions , how can they do this ,i dont know what to do know, and in north dakota you can t even get an attorney
    you should start a separate thread.
    the laws are different in each state and this is for Illinois comp.