New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Retired With an Open Workers Comp Case

Hi Iam new to this forum live in New York. Recently in November I retired from My job of 23 years because of various medical reasons one being Carpal Tunnel I have had no surgery and no nerve damage but I am always in pain. After retirement I went home to work from home printing Obituaries, programs. invitations. ect. and I also do mystery shopping for extra money. PMA pays for my prescriptons and bills. I have never received a check and I have no lawyer. Now my problem is Iam still in pain even at home now simply because I still use the computer all the time for extra money since now my money is so low because of my monthyl pension. My question is since Iam retired now would I be able to even get a monthly check or weekly check from workers comp? any help would do....thanks Megafest..

Default Re: (Retired Also Have a Open Workers Comp Case (Carpal Tunnel)

Maybe. Unless you screwed up by voluntarily leaving the job market. You need a lawyer. Actually, you needed a lawyer before you decided to retire.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

Thanks for your help. At the time I was mainly concerned about my other medical conditions and could no longer work anymore and after retiring was going to sign up for social security disability. I am new to all of this so did not know I needed a laywer right away from the moment I begin having pain and actually the pain really started years ago back in 2001 but went away and came back had a open case back then but was closed thanks for your help...Iam in the process of talking to a lawyer and will keep this posted as one day it may be able to help another person....Megafest.

In some states retiring would make it hard if not impossible for you to get ongoing work comp wage loss benefits. Hopefully your state is not one of them. Good luck.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

I have another question you may be able to help with. living in New York State how hard is it to get approved the first time around if you have osteoarthritis and early signs of Rhematoid arthritis been having the pain for about four years..with pain in the shoulder both hands carpal tunnel, right knee and hip pain and both feet swell and are in pain.