Indiana Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Indiana Workers

• Indiana Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Indiana Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Settlement and SSI

I got hurt on the job and after six months of physical therapy I'm told no more than 40% use of my leg for the rest of my life(walking with leg brace and can) and nerve damage might heal in the next twelve months.I received my termination yesterday and was told "anyone on work comp after six months is fired sorry company policy"and when I asked my lawyer since I have my ppd how much and when(married four kids)do I get it?I was told off the top of his head(lawyer) about $5,000 from a couple months to a year for sttlement.My question is can I get SSI or welfare and how hard is it to get?I'm not trying to sound off but $5,000 for being crippled for life with nerve damage and future medical bills sounds bad.I've worked hard as an electrical lineman and done a good job providing for my family and now honestly I'm scared because I don't know what to do.

Default Re: Settlement and SSI

Quote Quoting Atlis03 View Post
    I got hurt on the job and after six months of physical therapy I'm told no more than 40% use of my leg for the rest of my life(walking with leg brace and can) and nerve damage might heal in the next twelve months.I received my termination yesterday and was told "anyone on work comp after six months is fired sorry company policy"and when I asked my lawyer since I have my ppd how much and when(married four kids)do I get it?I was told off the top of his head(lawyer) about $5,000 from a couple months to a year for sttlement.My question is can I get SSI or welfare and how hard is it to get?I'm not trying to sound off but $5,000 for being crippled for life with nerve damage and future medical bills sounds bad.I've worked hard as an electrical lineman and done a good job providing for my family and now honestly I'm scared because I don't know what to do.
    Have you contacted your unions BA?....

SSI is very difficult to get unless you are totally unable to work.
    you may qualify for unemployment.
    you'll have to get a new job within your medical restrictions.
    yes you can qualify for welfare. contact your county offices.

The company i had worked for wasn't union.I will also try my local county office on Monday for SSI and benefits thank you.

To qualify for SSI, you must be 100% disabled, on SSDI and low income, age 65 and low income, or blind and low income.
    From the info you have provided...you do not qualify for SSI.

When you apply for SSDI, SSA automatically determines your eligibility for SSI.

The company i had worked for wasn't union.I will also try my local county office on Monday for SSI and benefits thank you.
    Im so sorry to hear that...There not the end all fix all but there are for the worker and only the worker.....Hope you nothing but healing.....

$5000 doesn't sound very good if you have continued nerve damage and walking with a cane. Assuming you had a completely healthy leg prior to your injury. You can always get your own doctor's opinion on your PPI and what future medical you will need. Also, if you plan to apply for SSD and Medicare, you will need to make sure that is protected in any settlement agreement you sign with workers compensation to avoid any SSD offset.
    Matthew Golitko, Esq. - Indiana Work Injury Lawyer - Golitko & Daly - Indianapolis and Kokomo Offices - We GO TO WORK when you can't.