Texas Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Texas Workers

• Texas Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Texas Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Bladder Problems from Back Injury

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: TX
    L-4 L-5 Spinal collapse with L-5 S-1 SPINAL COLLAPSE meets ODG guidelines for instabilty, radiculitis, annular tear. no incontinence.
    My question is this condition has been going on for 2 yrs , pain levels at 8-9 everyday. I wondered if anyone who has been injured and left to deteriorate while ins company quibbles back and forth. Does anyone have bladder pain? All doctors say if your not incontinent it's not your back, so I had tests for all the normal stuff all came back fine, but when I fully empty my bladder it hurts so much, its been going on for awhile, but got worse. They are sending me to neurologist someday, but I was curious if this is what happens before the incontinence begins, I am having alot of pain and can't get answers from my doctors so I thought I would go to the experts just to try and prepare myself I am so scared..if anyone has any of these symptoms please let me know. God Bless
    Last edited by vanilla princeaa; 05-06-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: accidental ending

Default Re: Fellow Back Injury Workers

No, sorry. I haven't had that. I have lower back issues along with other things that have been ongoing since 2009 and I haven't had any issues like you speak of.

Is is possible you may have a UTI?

I had all those tests uti, bladder infection, all those wonderful things were normal, Thank you Vanilla P

I have L4-L5 and L5-S1 herniation as well as a small annular tear. Pain in my lower back, hips, legs, and feet. I've been dealing with these issues since my injury on June 2010. At a point I was suffering from what I thought were UTI's only to find that when the test come back, no UTI. All the symptoms I was experiencing pointed to an UTI, but the test said otherwise. I haven't had that problem in months as of right now, and I do not want to ever have to deal with it again. Like you said, this issue is very painful. Keep us updated and I hope you feel better soon.

Thank you, for trying...

DO NOT fool around with bladder problems associate with a injured spine/disk...

•Bowel or Bladder Problems
    These symptoms are important because it may be a sign of cauda equina syndrome, a possible condition resulting from a herniated disc. This is a medical emergency, and your should see your doctor immediately if you have problems urinating, having bowel movements, or if you have numbness around your genitals. All of these symptoms are due to the irritation of the nerve from the herniated disc. By interfering with the pathway by which signals are sent from your brain out to your extremities and back to the brain, all of these symptoms can be caused by a herniated disc pressing against the nerves.
    More here http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/hern...ptureddisk.htm
    do a google search on "cauda equina syndrome''

thnx so mu ch,

My bladder leaks at night, not a lot but unfortunately a noticeable amount, doctor noted it but told be to try to empty my bladder twice when I went. It is amazing the crap we are told to live with, but yes, I pee, and then stand there and try to force myself to go again. Strangely it works. LOL there was a time pre- injury I had complete control of that area, and everything worked perfectly fine.

I've heard for some its incontinence, with others its inability to go from either end. Either way it's serious symptoms. Doctors mindlessly chant at you, "go to the hospital immediately if you suddenly lose all sensation down there." Doesn't always happen that way.

Reason why so many back injured get UTI's is their bladder doesn't feel the need to empty all the way, and bacteria builds up in the bladder from deadening nerves not signaling muscles to move as they should. Same thing with constipation/losing bowels. Sometimes I'm stunned when I stand up after sitting for a while only to wet myself. Other times I don't even feel the need to go all that much then go a flood! Can't always feel the need to move bowels any longer. One doc says so what? Get up and move, and drink more water! Too bad he's not around to clean up the mess. He'd learn a thing or two on how to clean such substances up while in severe multiple pain.

All you can do is keep nagging the doctors. Make sure they document such complaints in their notes instead of just nodding at you like some tend to do when they don't want to hear it because it doesn't "fit" their knowledge base. The better ones send me a copy of their notes after every visit, after I sweetly offered to supply the SASE just so they won't feel put out. Maybe its because they know I take notes, too. If anything is missing or wrong, they hear about it. Doesn't always work 100% of the time, but it sure empowers ME!

If they refuse to correct their notes? Call the Medical Board and report them. I had to with two of them so far. One did, one still refuses to. But at least the dispute is documented and not just heresay.
    Last edited by farmlove; 07-27-2012 at 09:48 AM.

For those who will read this in the future, there is a cauda equina society based in England that is a wonderful asset to have at your back. No, cauda equina does not always fit the outdated medical knowledge base most doctors automatically hand out to the injured. Most think it occurs suddenly. Not always. (The most severe does) If scar tissue takes time to build, and cauda equina can develop by the scar tissue gradually adhering the spinal cord to scar tissue (or fibrosis), how can it be "sudden"? It can occur if a herniation presses on a nerve suddenly, yes. But that is not the only way cauda equina develops.

Take a look at the only cauda equina website. You are not alone.
    http://www.caudaequina.org/

Another good site but more clinical in nature.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1148690-clinical