California Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured California Workers

• California Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• California Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default How to Get Transportation Assistance for Doctors Appointments

im an hour away from my doctors office i just got appointed and approved by a doctor but i live too far away to walk to them. the insurance company hasnt sent me a check for transportation nor called about a taxi...my lawyer said theyre working on it but i have no status update on anything....what can i do to assure i get transportation to my appointments im really desperate to see a doctor so i can get treatment for my injury.

Default Re: I Got a New Doctor but Now I Cant Get a Ride from the I.c to Them

Would help if you provide your state.

The IC is not responsible for paying in advance, or providing transportation to/from Dr appts..they may be responsible for paying mileage reimbursement for medically necessary trips.

Why are you treating with a Dr an hour away from your home?

If your treating physician provides medical evidence that you cannot drive do to your injury, then the IC may be responsible for providing medical transport.

Default Re: How to Get Transportation Assistance for Doctors Appointments

Quote Quoting jruth4422 View Post
    im an hour away from my doctors office i just got appointed and approved by a doctor but i live too far away to walk to them. the insurance company hasnt sent me a check for transportation nor called about a taxi...my lawyer said theyre working on it but i have no status update on anything....what can i do to assure i get transportation to my appointments im really desperate to see a doctor so i can get treatment for my injury.
    you may have to pay a taxi or use public trnsportation yourself and seek reimbursement later.

Default Re: How to Get Transportation Assistance for Doctors Appointments

There MAY be a "Medical Necessity" for providing transportation. There are plenty of cases where the IW can't drive due to restrictions (medications, unable to walk etc). Your Dr can request non-emergency medical transportation and/or a driver. The insurance companies response is never predictable, some will provide it and some won't. I've seen both. The response they love to give is "what does the IW do to get around other times?" Of course if you don't show up to your appointments they will say you aren't following treatment recommendations. If you need transportation, have your Dr explain why IN DETAIL in a request for authorization. At least that docments the need and will pave the way for reimbursement later.