New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Slu Schedual Taking Months

I have 20% slu for elbow from insurance doc. and my own doc. Went to comp hearing today to determine if company gets reimbursed wages. Ended up having the judge request my doctor submit information stating my 20% slu on elbow isnt related to shoulder on same arm 2 years ago. Is this a normal request by a judge or should I get LAWER INVOLVED? The judge did say we might "wisk" it thru once my doctor clairfies the loss is strictly based on my elbow. Help please !!!

Default Re: Slu Schedual Taking Months

Quote Quoting playinragz View Post
    I have 20% slu for elbow from insurance doc. and my own doc. Went to comp hearing today to determine if company gets reimbursed wages. Ended up having the judge request my doctor submit information stating my 20% slu on elbow isnt related to shoulder on same arm 2 years ago. Is this a normal request by a judge or should I get LAWER INVOLVED? The judge did say we might "wisk" it thru once my doctor clairfies the loss is strictly based on my elbow. Help please !!!
    having a judge manage your claim might be good.
    if you are uncomfortable wtih their help, you can get an atty to represent you.
    of course there is no fee when the judge is acting on your behalf.

my question basically , has anyone heard of this "hold up"? I kept hearing from comp and insurance co. "this is it" "the end of the end" basically just show up and its done. But now I need further language from my doctor stating ,the current elbow injury at 20% slu is strictly based on elbow and not former shoulder injury. Im worried I wont get the pay out at all at this point. Is that possible? Or is it just a matter of time with a slu settlement. In other words , the money is commin its just a matter of when.

my question basically , has anyone heard of this "hold up"? I kept hearing from comp and insurance co. "this is it" "the end of the end" basically just show up and its done. But now I need further language from my doctor stating ,the current elbow injury at 20% slu is strictly based on elbow and not former shoulder injury. Im worried I wont get the pay out at all at this point. Is that possible? Or is it just a matter of time with a slu settlement. In other words , the money is commin its just a matter of when.

yes. benefits are delayed all the time. in the comp/legal system there could always be an unexpected delay.
    Depends on what the doctor's opinion is.
    if the doctor says the rating is due solely to the former shoulder injury then you won't get the rating (and the disability payments) for the elbow.

Thanks, I almost positive the % was based on my elbow alone. Fact my doc told me when he did the slu % I should be gettin a good settlement. I just get paranoid because its been since January and everytime I hear "this is the end" something comes up. Is there anyway the judge can insist on more opinions from other doctors? say third party slu% or delaY in that way? inother words " we need more opinions so were sending you to another doctor for yet another SLU %"

I know it's difficult to believe but the carrier is not likely to take you at your word that is what the doctor meant.
    sometimes when $$ are involved people "misunderstand" or exaggerate or make mistakes.

rather then extra efforts verifying that you understood the doctor correctly they'd just as soon go directly to the doctor. maybe that doesn't make sense to you but it happens regularly in legal matters.
    evidence and proof are very important and the court wants these things in writing.
    if there is a question later on, they don't want to have to bring you in and hope you remember exactly what the doctor said. relying on verbal information is not as accurate over time. people forget--even you.
    when you are not use to things like insurance and laws and courts and settlements these things probably seem crazy to you and impossible to understand.

"END" may not mean NOW but the position on a list of steps within the process.
    the last step or "End" could be of long duration compared to an earlier step in the process like reporting the claim.

just a misunderstanding over terms.

yes, if either party has evidence that the doctor's opinion is flawed, in error, or wrong the comp court could require another medical opinion.

as I posted: the ending step could go on for a long time. being at the ending or last step doesn't mean it happens instantaneously.

being at the end of a line doesn't mean you move fast.
    this also is probably a difficult idea for you --that the final thing on a list can take a lot of time.
    it happens a lot in things like insurance settlements and court actions and complex paperwork.

being patient is difficult when you are new to the work comp process and have never been thru complex medical and legal rules. it does happen a lot for others even if it has never happened to you.

things in workers comp never happen as fast for you as you want. this is not new and it is not just happening to you.
    Last edited by .SH; 06-02-2012 at 01:34 PM.

Thanks again. The end ment cash payment in this case. The comp board examiner and insurance agent said " no dont get a lawyer yah dont need one, they just get a % of your money this is the end now" meaing go to court sign papers get settlement. the ins att. at court added the new twist. having my doctor specify in writing that the elbow slu % stands alone nothing to do with the shoulder i got 2 years ago.they both said have your doctor clairify in writing elbow 20% isnt related to shoulder and we can wisk it thru .... after they said it may not be the end.. its just a bunch of nonsence. I should get a slu in the long run correct? i mean at some point i get a slu% payout,, thats my real concern. everywhere i look and read it says slu % isnt a question of if its when you get paid.... i wanna make sure iget paid at some point weather its 3 months from now or 3weeks... do i get a settlemet at some point?????????????

Thanks again. The end ment cash payment in this case. The comp board examiner and insurance agent said " no dont get a lawyer yah dont need one, they just get a % of your money this is the end now" meaing go to court sign papers get settlement. the ins att. at court added the new twist. having my doctor specify in writing that the elbow slu % stands alone nothing to do with the shoulder i got 2 years ago.they both said have your doctor clairify in writing elbow 20% isnt related to shoulder and we can wisk it thru .... after they said it may not be the end.. its just a bunch of nonsence. I should get a slu in the long run correct? i mean at some point i get a slu% payout,, thats my real concern. everywhere i look and read it says slu % isnt a question of if its when you get paid.... i wanna make sure iget paid at some point weather its 3 months from now or 3weeks... do i get a settlemet at some point?????????????
    you asked this already.
    there is nothing more I can explain without repeating myself.

WC attys don't just take a % of your money, they earn it by ensuring that you don't get shorted and by helping you understand a complex situation and make the best decisions for your future. You may regret not talking to a wc atty.

all due respect : i re read your post 4 times at no point do you say weather slu% will eventually be paid...... the question is : do i get a settlemet at some point?????????????
    i know about lawyers and the process and time. what i dont know is a slu% payout is something that has to occur... you went on about the word "end" and what you think its in reference to. im not interested in that but i do have a 46k payout in limbo... if im gonna get that in time no matter how many delays arise thats my only interest. slu% has to be paid or dosent... you havent awnsered that question yet . tyvm. ins co. are weasels so are lawyers. i know about slu% but i never heard of it taking 67- months when both parties doctors agree on a 20% loss of use. it should be cut and dry. but it seems to be knitt picking just to delay the enevatable. if THEY HAVE TO HONOR THE % OF LOSS. so do they or dont they??