Wisconsin Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Wisconsin Workers

• Wisconsin Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Wisconsin Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Final Settlements

2 years ago I broke my ankle at work, tore it up pretty bad. I have had 4 surgeries already and will need a complete fusion within the next 5 to 10 years (per Dr) as my ankle is deteriorating. I have been sent in for a FCE which I failed badly( but I can sit!!)
    Now I am trying to understand what my company is talking about. I will never be allowed to return to my current job'
    The Dr said that my ankle is only 30%,
    So my question is this. would I be able to get a final settlement that will keep me afloat until I find a job I can do? I have "experts" from work telling me I will get so much for the 30% plus additional for each surgery plus they will have to pay me for schooling in a field I can do with the bum leg. Is this true? Can anyone else who has been in this situation point me in the right direction? I have looked at the WI website for Workers comp but it might just as well as been written in Chinese as I could not understand anything on it.

Thank you for any help and insight!

Default Re: Final Settlements

First, you should have a wc attorney. You need to make sure you get the benefits you are talking about like voc rehab., if you are being retrained you usually would still receive benefits. Benefits are complicated to explain I would talk to a competent wc atty. You will feel much better when you do because he can explain your specific circumstances.

I bet Gov Walker will be pushing work comp reforms that are anti-worker within the next year or so. If you are interested in settling, keep that in mind.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

Quote Quoting complwyr View Post
    I bet Gov Walker will be pushing work comp reforms that are anti-worker within the next year or so. If you are interested in settling, keep that in mind.
    Thats funny, but I think you might be wrong.....He is to busy with beer and brat cookouts for government stuff

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Quoting Leslie View Post
    First, you should have a wc attorney. You need to make sure you get the benefits you are talking about like voc rehab., if you are being retrained you usually would still receive benefits. Benefits are complicated to explain I would talk to a competent wc atty. You will feel much better when you do because he can explain your specific circumstances.
    I have talked to an attorney about this...a couple of them actually and they all said that there is not much that can be done for me because W/C is still paying me and still paying the medical bills.

I am no expert. WC is state specific but it sounds as if you are eligible for voc rehab and your doctor should know if you will not be able to return to your old job. It is my understanding, that while in voc rehab, the IW recieves TTD.

I have heard about Voc Rehab from the safety guy at work, but he will not say to much "pending a settlement offer" .

I'm not sure but sometimes they include it in settlements and I would be sure and tell your atty you want to know all about your voc rehab benefits.

OK again I get no real answers from W/C ins guy or the safety guy at work now they tell me they are waiting on another "final assessment" from the Doc.
    The Ins guy said that as it stands my final settlement would be around $28,000. I didn't expect to get rich with a settlement but this seems really low for everything I had to have done on the ankle with the 4 surgeries and the fact that I will always be walking with a cane for the rest of my life. Kind of hard to support a family on that until I can find a new job!!
    Anyone out there know if that amount would be in the correct range?
    Thanks!!

I know you need an exp. Wc atty to make sure you don't get screwed.

The Ins guy said that as it stands my final settlement would be around $28,000
    ...this seems really low for everything I had to have done on the ankle with the 4 surgeries and the fact that I will always be walking with a cane for the rest of my life.
    Have you been rated for impairment/permanent disability by your Dr?
    You are not compensated for pain & suffering, the amount of treatment you have been provided or the type of injury.
    PD ratings reflect your reduced earning capacity, or ability to compete in the open labor market... that's all. Compensation is based on PD %, and a predetermined number of weeks indemnity benefits.
    No guarantee of a cash settlement... and IF you do that that cash... close the claim, you also agree to pay out of your pocket for any medical care you may need down the road...including a new cane.