Tennessee Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Tennessee Workers

• Tennessee Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Tennessee Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Proposed Medical Buyout

First let me say I do not have an attorney. I am 42 yr olds and had a seriouS back injury at work in June 2008. In July 2009 I received a MMI settlement. Then in 2010 I reinsured my back at work and found out I would not receive benefits for missed work. I am now no longer able to work and have filed for disability. I have been denied twice and I am waiting for my hearing.

Now my IC is talking about a medical buyout where they will no longer be responsible for my medical treatment. I am suppose to receive a offer amount soon but I don't know what to do. My doctor and I have been trying to get WC to approve a second surgery for over a year and they keep denying it. They sent me for a IME and they say that doctor said I didn't need another surgery. My medical care over the last 3 yrs has averaged $7200/yr and they say my life expectancy is 35.4 yrs.

I have a wife and 4 kids to consider and I am in constant pain. What is my magic number that I should take? Is the buyout money I will get to pay for my medical care or will it be put n a trust? What do I do if it's not enough can I negotiate or is it too late to get a lawyer? Should I get the department of labor involved can they help me get a fair settlement? Can I negotiate that the IC first pay for surgery then do a buyout? I feel like I am going to get snowed by a large amount waived in my face then I'll realize it won't be enough and me and my family will suffer tremendously.

Default Re: Proposed Medical Buyout

No one can force you to take a settlement and it is not too late to talk to wc atty, which is free, and you should. At the very least you should speak with the wc state ombudsman listed in the phone or google for your state. You will never be offered enough to cover medical.

[QUOTE=Leslie;174889]No one can force you to take a settlement and it is not too late to talk to wc atty, which is free, and you should. At the very least you should speak with the wc state ombudsman listed in the phone or google for your state. You will never be offered enough to cover

Thank you for your feedback. I have another question. My wife has insurance and they have no preexisting condition clause so since WC has been denying this surgery they say they will pay it. Is this should I should do? Will it effect an offer that WC might make to me. I just feel I am compromising my health fighting with WC.

- - - Updated - - -

Also if I take the settlement and get medical bought out will my wife's insurance still pay since they have no pre existing condition clause?

Quote Quoting Shavone25 View Post
    First let me say I do not have an attorney. I am 42 yr olds and had a seriouS back injury at work in June 2008. In July 2009 I received a MMI settlement. Then in 2010 I reinsured my back at work and found out I would not receive benefits for missed work. I am now no longer able to work and have filed for disability. I have been denied twice and I am waiting for my hearing.

Now my IC is talking about a medical buyout where they will no longer be responsible for my medical treatment. I am suppose to receive a offer amount soon but I don't know what to do. My doctor and I have been trying to get WC to approve a second surgery for over a year and they keep denying it. They sent me for a IME and they say that doctor said I didn't need another surgery. My medical care over the last 3 yrs has averaged $7200/yr and they say my life expectancy is 35.4 yrs.

I have a wife and 4 kids to consider and I am in constant pain. What is my magic number that I should take? Is the buyout money I will get to pay for my medical care or will it be put n a trust? What do I do if it's not enough can I negotiate or is it too late to get a lawyer? Should I get the department of labor involved can they help me get a fair settlement? Can I negotiate that the IC first pay for surgery then do a buyout? I feel like I am going to get snowed by a large amount waived in my face then I'll realize it won't be enough and me and my family will suffer tremendously.
    the number you will take and number they will offer are two different things.
    your number will be based on what you lost and what you think you will loose.
    their number will be based on what they think they will owe in benefits if the case does not settle.
    obviously two different starting points

you want benefits and not a settlement. make sure that is also what your atty wants for you.

yes, take the care that is available- let the two carriers fight out the liability while you recover.
    whether it will change the settlement amount it depends on if the health carrier has or will file a lien. if so, it will have to be delt with in the settlement.

if you think you can wait and win treatment thru the comp court, then don't settle. if you think the amount is similar to what they would pay if the case doesn't settle, then take it.

SH is right about taking the care that is available and it will be better care with better prescriptions and therapy. Your wife's carrier will probably contact you about adjudicating the claim, that means they get the money back from wc carrier when you, or if you, win your hearings. That is what I am going through now.
    Also you refer to the carrier as your IC but as our expert BvIA is constantly reminding us they are the ER's IC and that makes a difference to how we are treated. Adversarial process is what complwyr (Bob) calls it.
    Last edited by Leslie; 06-17-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Because you have applied for SSDI and even though waiting for a hearing...you have triggered the potential need for a MSA...setaside trust account.

Your wife GHP/Group Health Plan may have a pre exisiting clause... but this isn't about pre existing, it's about your ER liability. GHP expressly exempts work related injury/illness.
    If anyone tells you they will cover... GET IT IN WRITING or it does not exist.

Do what ever you can to get better by all means. Let the insurance companies duke out. I was lucky and had the same option otherwise I probably would be just getting back to work now. Instead I was back to work last September. Had I know this earlier would have been back at work even sooner. If I had known that I would have been out only a couple months for surgery vs 7 months for PT that the doctor and PT said would not work in my case would not work, but play the WC game. Would have jumped on the surgery and gotten back to work and not gotten behind on bills. Would have been over and done with before IME got to look at me and would not have screwed up my neck that they ended up not covering. Good thing for a good chiropractor that works for jelly and bread