Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Pennsylvania Workers

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Pennsylvania Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default I Can't Go Back to Work for My Employer Doing What I Did- Now What

I was told that I am not able to do my old job as a carpenter/general contractor due to injury. The doctor said I could only do sedentary work. My employer said that they have nothing for me to do there and I would have to find another job. Not only is this my life but I am screwed for the future. What happens next? What am I supposed to do now that I can't do what I did? I can't use the knee, my source for income is my ability to perform. Even with a total knee replacement I can't go back to work. They said that they wear out and I am only able to get one replacement when that one goes bad. I tried to look this up on the state website but it really does not help me with what to do next. I am not one to sit back and let this destroy my life and all that I have worked for. How can I protect what I have? Sorry to jump from one thing to another but this is crazy.....

Default Re: I Can't Go Back to Work for My Employer Doing What I Did- Now What

First, step back and take a deep breath. Now, are you being paid wage loss benefits? If not, that is first priority. If you do not have a lawyer, it is time to get one.

If you are receiving wage loss benefits, I would suggest that you talk to your doctor in detail and get his take on what level of function you can hope to obtain, and what type of medical care you will require in the future.

You are now ready to start thinking about your future. What interests you? If you could do anything for a career, what would it be? Make a list. Go through your list and pick out careers that are consistent with your current physical abilities. Do the research and find out what is involved in entering these careers.

You are now at the turning point. If you are already qualified to perform your new career choice, start pumping out the applications. If your new career choice requires additional training, find out how much that training costs and how long it will take to obtain the training. If your need for future medical is limited, a lump sum settlement may be the way to fund your education and the living expenses while you are obtaining the education.

Finally, don't look at this as the end. Look at this as an opportunity to pursue something new that you would not have done otherwise.

Good luck!
    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire
    Helping injured workers in Northeast Pennsylvania.
    belt-law@belt-law.com
    www.belt-law.com

DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality.

Tim,
    I thank you for the response. I do have an attorney. I never thought that this would be how I would end up. With the doctor I am worried that he will just want to pencil whip answers to me like I am a bother to him. I will calm myself down and get things in order. Thanks again.

Fantastic advice there from Tim Belt. Good luck to you.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law