Missouri Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Missouri Workers

• Missouri Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Missouri Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default What Happens If You Can't Perform Job Duties After Returning to Work

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Missouri

I fell at work on black ice in December 2011 and broke my right radius which required surgery, plate and 5 screws. I returned to work for 2 weeks and was unable to lift or bear weight with the injured wrist. I was sent to Plastic Surgeon who said I had suffered SLAC wrist and underwent four bone fusion, nervectomy and scaphoidectomy. This is my dominant hand. I have been in OT three times a week and all has been going well. I have not had any problems receiving my TTP payments or getting my bills paid. My company put me on WC LOA after my FMLA ran out.

My questions is, what if I return to work and unable to perform my duties? I am a nurse and I have difficulty making a fist and/or performing fine motor skills. My hand becomes very stiff and it is difficult to get the fingers to move. I lost 50% motion in my wrist, which I knew I would as a result of this surgery. I fear I will return to work and then be let go because I will not be able to perform.

What happens in this case? What will my options be? Unemployment? How do people pay their bills? I know this case is a long way from being settled and I just would like to have an idea of what to expect and how to plan. I hate to lose everything I've worked so hard for. Thanks for your help. This is a great forum!

- - - Updated - - -

I should add, I will be 61 in July. I understand I cannot apply for social security (retirement) until 61.9 years of age. Is that correct? Thank you

Default Re: What to Do, What to Do

you will have to find a new line of work withing your restrictions.
    your permanent impairment will entitle you to some limited disability benefits to offset lost wages due to job change.
    more here
    http://labor.mo.gov/DWC/Injured_Work...asp#BensAvail2

check into vocational rehabilitation
    http://labor.mo.gov/DWC/Division_Uni...onal_rehab.asp

Who or how is it decided if you are permanent partially disabled? Is that decided once I go back to work and can no longer do yoyr job? This is my dependent hand and at 61 years of age, I'm really not interested in vocational rehab. Of course, I will not refuse if WC requests.

But the offset lost wages definitely will help. Just trying to keep from losing everything! Thanks.

Quote Quoting Marj View Post
    Who or how is it decided if you are permanent partially disabled? Is that decided once I go back to work and can no longer do yoyr job? This is my dependent hand and at 61 years of age, I'm really not interested in vocational rehab. Of course, I will not refuse if WC requests.

But the offset lost wages definitely will help. Just trying to keep from losing everything! Thanks.
    it's ultimately decided by the comp board based on medical evidence. there is a rating guideline used by the doctor to appropriately describe the functional limitations that remain after you have reached maximum medical improvement.