Default Herniated Disc at L5/S1

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: texas

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

I wanted to ask any of those who have had or have a herniated disc (size doesn't matter) in the L5/s1.

Since father's day, I've noticed that my back doesn't seem to bother me as much. There is still pain, but its not like before. It's kinda weird to me. I've cut down on the pain meds a lot (partly because of the lack of pain, but mostly to the fact that I hate taking meds because I don't want my body to get used to them). I still get weird feeling in my legs and feet, but not as bad as before. I have noticed that 3rd and 4th toe from center on each foot gets weird sometimes.

I do know that in my mind I "gave up" on my case and I guess I let go of a lot of the stress and anxiety I was having. I actually find myself laughing again. I've started to work with DARS about going back to school and feel that I'm starting to move forward in my life.

I don't know if I reached a point where my body just started getting used to the pain and so I don't notice it as much or if maybe the disc problem is actually beginning to work itself out. I know SS says that most herniated disc problems are resolved within a year (I think that is what I read of the disabilitysecrets website and I don't know if that mean they had surgery or what; most likely means as it says that most are resolved with in a year either on their own or though treatment).

I called my doctor and asked him about it and he said that disc problems are very hard to predict; he said I might get better and never have problems again, I might be good for a couple days then go back and could be worse when I go back, or I might stay the same. I asked if I should try to push myself a little harder and he told me to wait a couple more weeks to see what happens before I change anything.

I've been talking about getting an inverter table (sp?). When I asked the doctor about it months ago, his response was basically that it did the same thing as the decompression that they wanted to do, but he didn't like it because you couldn't adjust how much pressure you were taking off. I understood him to say that he couldn't charge for a table that I use at home and the table could be as effective as the machine if I learn to use it correctly and learn to read my body to know how far to go.

I'm glad to be out of pain, but I'm worried how it affects my case. As far as my case goes, I don't think it looks good if I all of a sudden get better. If I loose everything from the case, and do get better, that's a thousand times better than wining the case and not getting better, I know that.

I've often thought that my problems were coming from the annular tear and I was having chemical radiculopathy. I've thought this because I don't really have any "pinch" points. I do have limited range of motion with my lumbar. It just doesn't flex as it did before. I've not been as active these last couple weeks because of the heat. I'm beginning to stretch as much as I can; I go to the lake and swim some and stretch while under water (there are no swimming pools around where I can do this so free option is best). I'm wondering if maybe the tear has began to heal? I've had times before where I wouldn't hurt as bad for a couple days, but none that lasted this long.

My questions are:

Has anyone tried or researched the tables? What were your thoughts?

Has anyone with a disc problem similar to mine (L2-L4 bulging and L5S1 4 mm central protrusion with an annular tear(possible l2l3 tear that was healing)) ever had something like what I'm going through? I'm not out of pain, just not as much.

Default Re: for Those with Herniated Disc at L5/S1

The enzymes in our bodies will eventually clean up the pulpous material that breaks through the annular fibrosis that tears. That material presses on the nerves and causes the radiculopathy down the siatic nerve at the L5/S1 level. Some people have tears on lateral sides that brings to bear more pressure on the nerves. It is good that you are healing and good that your doctor is taking precautions because you dont want any residual pulpous from the disc causing problems. Scar tissue also causes problems so take it easy.

Hello Fellow Injured worker! I have two herniated discs and three bulging discs. The herniated discs are l-5 and l-4 with the annular tears and I take meds. Three epidurals and physical therapy were not enough to fix my back, legs and feet. We are talking numbness, tingling and weakness with a type of burning sensation alot. My toes feel like balloons and are very stiff feeling. On top of all that I developed a knee spur on my left knee cap which hurts when I bend it and physical therapy makes the symptoms feel worse. My workmens comp will not help me out about my knee spur of course and I beleive it was caused from putting to much weight on the left leg to much. I am at the end of my rope. Who can mow the lawn, clean the house or even keep the cars clean. The problem I might be having is that I was working for a temp agency and was not a permanent employee. As they would say I can always be replaced. It wasnt until my boss switched my jobs on me that I was being trained so that I could be a floater being used where he needed me. The product was alot heavier and I had to bend over ridicuously and cut the product and put a new core in for the new roll. Thus my back and legs and feet are not the same as they used to be. My lawyer won,t go aftyer a personal lawsuit which confuses me somewhat. I need someone to get mad about what has happened to me and it seems like the more time goes by the less they even care about me and my problem. My nurse case manager was being nice to me but not anymore she is like a doubting Thomas do you know what I mean! Well I have rambled on enough I suppose. If you have any questions please contact me. Thanks, Jeff W.
    Quote Quoting bulgingdiscnormal View Post
    My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: texas

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

I wanted to ask any of those who have had or have a herniated disc (size doesn't matter) in the L5/s1.

Since father's day, I've noticed that my back doesn't seem to bother me as much. There is still pain, but its not like before. It's kinda weird to me. I've cut down on the pain meds a lot (partly because of the lack of pain, but mostly to the fact that I hate taking meds because I don't want my body to get used to them). I still get weird feeling in my legs and feet, but not as bad as before. I have noticed that 3rd and 4th toe from center on each foot gets weird sometimes.

I do know that in my mind I "gave up" on my case and I guess I let go of a lot of the stress and anxiety I was having. I actually find myself laughing again. I've started to work with DARS about going back to school and feel that I'm starting to move forward in my life.

I don't know if I reached a point where my body just started getting used to the pain and so I don't notice it as much or if maybe the disc problem is actually beginning to work itself out. I know SS says that most herniated disc problems are resolved within a year (I think that is what I read of the disabilitysecrets website and I don't know if that mean they had surgery or what; most likely means as it says that most are resolved with in a year either on their own or though treatment).

I called my doctor and asked him about it and he said that disc problems are very hard to predict; he said I might get better and never have problems again, I might be good for a couple days then go back and could be worse when I go back, or I might stay the same. I asked if I should try to push myself a little harder and he told me to wait a couple more weeks to see what happens before I change anything.

I've been talking about getting an inverter table (sp?). When I asked the doctor about it months ago, his response was basically that it did the same thing as the decompression that they wanted to do, but he didn't like it because you couldn't adjust how much pressure you were taking off. I understood him to say that he couldn't charge for a table that I use at home and the table could be as effective as the machine if I learn to use it correctly and learn to read my body to know how far to go.

I'm glad to be out of pain, but I'm worried how it affects my case. As far as my case goes, I don't think it looks good if I all of a sudden get better. If I loose everything from the case, and do get better, that's a thousand times better than wining the case and not getting better, I know that.

I've often thought that my problems were coming from the annular tear and I was having chemical radiculopathy. I've thought this because I don't really have any "pinch" points. I do have limited range of motion with my lumbar. It just doesn't flex as it did before. I've not been as active these last couple weeks because of the heat. I'm beginning to stretch as much as I can; I go to the lake and swim some and stretch while under water (there are no swimming pools around where I can do this so free option is best). I'm wondering if maybe the tear has began to heal? I've had times before where I wouldn't hurt as bad for a couple days, but none that lasted this long.

My questions are:

Has anyone tried or researched the tables? What were your thoughts?

Has anyone with a disc problem similar to mine (L2-L4 bulging and L5S1 4 mm central protrusion with an annular tear(possible l2l3 tear that was healing)) ever had something like what I'm going through? I'm not out of pain, just not as much.

Streching can be good and bad. Of course you have lost some flexability as you were recovering from your injury. Your body will also modify you stance, and walk, and muscles will build while others weaken to adapt to your moving to avoid pain. If you strech without a PT advice, I would at least ask your doctor what forms of exercise you should do. This is why the always say "and as always check with your medical doctor before starting any exercise routine" AND THAT MEANS YOU. As for the pain being less, congradulations, however it can also be your brains reaction to pain and the threshold for pain, that was probably constant has become a higher level. Your mind learns to ignore it, and laugher helps as well. Pain is the bodies way of warning you something is wrong, after a well it doesn't warn you as much, you learn to deal with it. With any herniation there is a chance of reinjury. A new MRI might beable to show if it indeed has improved or is the same, in my case a later MRI showed my herniations had indeed gotten worse. You might find that when you add carrying weight, or bending, or standing for longer periods that your pain will come on very fast. THis is a sign all is not well, and the pain threshold has been meet at a higher level. In my opinion, pain medicine should only be taken when needed, and I believe when you don't need it don't take it, but if you do need it, take it. If you do that you will not become addicted. Good luck, it is always nice to hear about someone feeling better, as far as your case, their is no getting rich here, best to try to break even and heal