Missouri Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Missouri Workers

• Missouri Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Missouri Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default When and How to Get a Second Opinion

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Missouri

After having a plate and 5 screws placed and then a 4 bone wrist fusion, my surgeon released me to go back to work without limitations after 12 weeks. I have to have a screw removed on August 1st at the fusion site. My wrist still swells with activity and is painful with use. I only have 20 pounds of gripping with my right hand (dominant) in comparison to 65 on my left. My doctor says the screw removal may or may not help the swelling and pain, but would recommend having it removed.

I think I need to have a second opinion. I can't believe he is sending me back to work with no limitations with a screw causing swelling and discomfort. I go to OT 3 times a week and have not been able to progress with strength building due to swelling issues. I cannot lift more than 10 pounds without pain radiating from my wrist up to my elbow. I cannot make a fist or grip. I cannot turn the key to start my car or even a door knob.

Also, he said it could be as much as 2-12 mos before I'm MMI. Can they send you back to work without limitations if you are not MMI? It seems to me you are partially disabled until you reach maximum medical improvement, and maybe even then.

Also, how do I go about requesting a second opinion? Do I call my claims adjuster for approval first? Just curious how to get this process going.

Thanks, you guys are a great help. Thanks.

Default Re: Second Opinion

yes contact the carrier. follow up with a written request. you can get your own opinion at your own expense at any time.

Thanks .SH.

I understand I can pay for the second opinion and that's no problem. But, what happens if I would decide to change to that surgeon after talking with him. Would WC pick up the bill then? I know this surgeon takes WC, but don't know if he's on the IC "approved" list. Just curious. Thanks. M

Quote Quoting Marj View Post
    Thanks .SH.

I understand I can pay for the second opinion and that's no problem. But, what happens if I would decide to change to that surgeon after talking with him. Would WC pick up the bill then? I know this surgeon takes WC, but don't know if he's on the IC "approved" list. Just curious. Thanks. M
    they are not required to pay for treatment from a physician of your choice.

I know it's a little late to reply but it's time to get a lawyer, fast.