Michigan Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Michigan Workers

• Michigan Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Michigan Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default Workers Comp Doctor Versus Recommended Doctor

Hi all, "new" (Late 50's) guy here. For my shoulder injury, comp refered me to a doctor that refered me to a doctor THREE HOURS AWAY from me. This doctor is good, I am told, but I have to keep going to see HIM instead of my comp doctor. My comp contact person said that it was for a surgical evaluation, NOT treatment, and I called the comp doctors office and explained that this doctor has me set up for physical therapy, which is good, but I want to see MY doctor twenty miles away, NOT 150! The "other" doctor is himming and hawing about how he may or not be able to fix me, I told him leave me be, I'll go disability, I don't think he heard that. I go to leave and am told I have to have an appointment; the snarky office "worker" said that HE was writing out my scripts for therapy, which I take as a thinly veiled threat for continued comp. I do NOT want to have to risk my life or the lives of those that have to drive me there to save my arm again by having to drive into a major cesspool area of the United States; I want to blow this guy off and tell him I'm going back to my comp doctor, have him send the physical therapy reports he said he never got to him, and have my comp doctor continue physical therapy. At my age and with the severity of my wound, it's doubtful I'll return to my job-I've already accepted that. I also know I can't do these long road trips anymore, especially when you have to hit semi-truck tire treads on the roadway and messing up the front end of your car! Sorry, had to vent about that. Can I charge the hospital for my car repairs? It would'nt happen if I was in MY part of the state. Arrrgh.

ETA: I had an x-ray the day the tear happened, and an MRI six days later, showing a complete tear of the superspinatus and infraspinitus. Gone. PT IS helping to a degree, but those two muscles are gone, and I am weak in my right arm. I got the order for PT two months after the injury by the "reccomended" doctor, and I'm sure it's a bit gone to be fixed-The "reccomended" doctor said the muscles had atrophied; non-operable. The next visit (Late July) was the "maybe/sorta/kinda/partial repair" I was told. Can I tell thisd guy to pound sand, and sign off on me and send me back to the doctor (Comp doctor, a GOOD one!) that was honest enough to say I was in rough shape?
    Last edited by hong kong phooey; 08-01-2012 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Extra info.

Default Re: Comp Dr. Versus Recommended Dr

hong kong phooey
    Can I tell thisd guy to pound sand, and sign off on me and send me back to the doctor (Comp doctor, a GOOD one!) that was honest enough to say I was in rough shape?
    Sure, just do it the right way, follow the rules.
    Medical Care
    You are entitled to reasonable and necessary medical care for work-related injuries or diseases. Employers or their insurance carriers are required by law to provide these services. During the first 28 days of treatment, your employer has the right to choose the physician.
    After 28 days you are free to change physicians, but you must notify your employer of the change. If you receive treatment from a physician of your choice, you shall obtain and promptly furnish a report to your employer.
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/wc...5_338119_7.pdf

Also see: http://www.michigan.gov/wca/0,4682,7...870---,00.html

Tony
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm

Hey, thanks Tony! Actually, I had printed off a copy of that last night and highlighted that exact part! My original comp doctor was honest enough about the severity of my wound. I'll go back to the metro area in a few weeks, and if theother guy tells me the same thing he did about "maybe/maybe not", I'll tell him he's fired. His snarky office help too.

Don't be rude to anyone, just change doctors. Be sure the original doctor will take you back before you get too cocky. If he refuses to take you back, you'll have to find another doctor that will accept comp, be careful.

Tony
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm

Okay, thank you again! I just get a little "riled up", as it were-Bad enough being injured, at least comp is treating alright. It's been a roller coaster, as I'm sure everybody here has gone through, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, looks like I can't go back to the metro area anyway-The truck tire tread we hit coming back from there f***ed up the front end of my car! So now I have to come up with the $500 deductible to have it fixed. This reeks.

Woud a primary care doctor work for my work notes? I tried the clinic 6 blocks from me and they won't do comp, should I find an Ortho to do this, sice it's comp?