Default QME Has Determined 6% of Whole Person Impairment for a Shoulder Injury, Now What

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: California

I was injured in February of 2011 and just received a QME Findings Summary Form. The QME determined I have a 6% permanent whole person impairment due to a shoulder injury sustained at work. I never went on disability because I could not afford to. What do I do next? Am I entitled to some kind of settlement? The QME also says I should be given the opportunity for surgery if I wish. I do not have legal representation at this time and would prefer NOT to involve an attorney. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Default Re: QME Has Determined 6% of Whole Person Impairment for a Shoulder Injury, Now What

Quote Quoting Moto2 View Post
    My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: California

I was injured in February of 2011 and just received a QME Findings Summary Form. The QME determined I have a 6% permanent whole person impairment due to a shoulder injury sustained at work. I never went on disability because I could not afford to. What do I do next? Am I entitled to some kind of settlement? The QME also says I should be given the opportunity for surgery if I wish. I do not have legal representation at this time and would prefer NOT to involve an attorney. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    the impairment rating will be used to determine permanent disability benefits.
    you can find out more about permanent disability and the finalization process from factsheet D:
    http://www.dir.ca.gov/dwc/iwguides.html

Default Re: QME Has Determined 6% of Whole Person Impairment for a Shoulder Injury, Now What

Thanks so much. I now have an idea of "whats next." I really appreciate the help and info.

Am I entitled to some kind of settlement?
    Nope. You are entitled to the predetermined number of weeks PD benefits associated with the final PD rating, computed based on the WPI of 6%.
    As that 6%WPI report is sent to DEU/Disability Evaluation Unit for calculation, it's very difficult to dispute, a WCAB judge has the final determination.

You'll likely get an offer to cash out the claim, including medical, but won't receive near enough money to pay for a potential surgery.

Quote Quoting BvIA View Post
    Nope. You are entitled to the predetermined number of weeks PD benefits associated with the final PD rating, computed based on the WPI of 6%.
    As that 6%WPI report is sent to DEU/Disability Evaluation Unit for calculation, it's very difficult to dispute, a WCAB judge has the final determination.

You'll likely get an offer to cash out the claim, including medical, but won't receive near enough money to pay for a potential surgery.
    So how on earth do I determine what is a fair cash offer? Or is there some sort of set calculation using the percentage of "whole person impairment" given determned by the QME?

Quote Quoting Moto2 View Post
    So how on earth do I determine what is a fair cash offer? Or is there some sort of set calculation using the percentage of "whole person impairment" given determned by the QME?
    yes there is for the permanent disability component.
    the Disability Evaluation Unit does the calculation and notifies the parties just as it explains in fact sheet D.
    for the medical you are on your own.

Quote Quoting .SH View Post
    yes there is for the permanent disability component.
    the Disability Evaluation Unit does the calculation and notifies the parties just as it explains in fact sheet D.
    for the medical you are on your own.
    OK thanks, I guess I will wait to hear back from the adjuster/case manager as it appears he will be contacted as well.