Kentucky Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Kentucky Workers

• Kentucky Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Kentucky Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default What Information Must My PCP Provide to Workmans Comp

I injured my back at work in july 2012 and the company doctor ordered me off work, I've been off work for 3 months now then company doctor finally orders an mri and refers me out to a neurosurgeon who says surgery is required. The neuro couldn't prescribe my pain med due to new kentucky drug laws and the company doctor wouldn't even see me again because he refered me out to the neuro.
    So my only option was to see my pcp in order to get the pain meds I needed until i get the surgery(then the neuro says after I am in his care he can write the scripts that i will need). When I saw my pcp she said I had to give a urinalysis before she could write the script(this is a new law passed in Ky).Without hesistation I give the sample and IMMMEDIATELY afterwards notice that the procedures,protocol and risk of contanimation were suspect to say the very least!The reason I know this is because I've taken hundreds of drug screens due to my occupation and never have I failed nor tested a false positive.But this instance came back a false positive... I was/am very upset about this. Is my pcp required to give this info to workmans comp? Can workmans comp deny my claim and the surgery needed to help my back AND will workmans comp report the results of the drug screen to my employer and risk my employment and livelyhood??
    Last edited by wdd; 10-11-2012 at 09:48 AM.

Default Re: What Info is My Pcp Required to Give to Workmans Comp

Quote Quoting wdd View Post
    I injured my back at work in july 2012 and the company doctor ordered me off work, I've been off work for 3 months now then company doctor finally orders an mri and refers me out to a neurosurgeon who says surgery is required. The neuro couldn't prescribe my pain med due to new kentucky drug laws and the company doctor wouldn't even see me again because he refered me out to the neuro.
    So my only option was to see my pcp in order to get the pain meds I needed until i get the surgery(then the neuro says after I am in his care he can write the scripts that i will need). When I saw my pcp she said I had to give a urinalysis before she could write the script(this is a new law passed in Ky).Without hesistation I give the sample and IMMMEDIATELY afterwards notice that the procedures,protocol and risk of contanimation were suspect to say the very least!The reason I know this is because I've taken hundreds of drug screens due to my occupation and never have I failed nor tested a false positive.But this instance came back a false positive... I was/am very upset about this. Is my pcp required to give this info to workmans comp? Can workmans comp deny my claim and the surgery needed to help my back AND will workmans comp report the results of the drug screen to my employer and risk my employment and livelyhood??
    workers comp is entitled to all relevant medical records.
    how they respond to the information is up to them. comp law does not demand or require claim/benefits denial upon evidence of positive drug test.
    does your employer have a drug free policy in place? if so you need the details.

generally evidence of the use of intoxicants or judgement altering substances can impact the decision as to whether the injury was caused by the job.
    other then that such evidence may be used to show the patient's failure to cooperate with reasonable medical care.
    Last edited by .SH; 10-11-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Default Re: What Info is My Pcp Required to Give to Workmans Comp

Even though workmans comp did not request the drug screen to be administered 3 months ago when the injury occured or when I seen my PCP .....Are they're any regulations that workmans comp require for chain of custody and handling of drug screens?