Default Designated Doctor vs. Treating Doctor

My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Texas. My employer based my "bona fide offer" off of my Designated Doctors restrictions and not my Treating Doctor whom I've been seeing for the past 9 months. The Designated Doctor only saw me once which was 3 months ago. My "treating doctor" has every restriction box checked along with taking prescribed medications. The "designated doctor" only listed a limit on how much weight I can lift and nothing more. I was "ordered" to go back to work. Now my condition has been severely aggrivated by having to go back to work under his lack of restrictions. How can a "designated doctor" have more merit than a doctor who has been treating me all along?

Default Re: Designated Doctor vs. Treating Doctor

Quote Quoting Blue Eyes View Post
    My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: Texas. My employer based my "bona fide offer" off of my Designated Doctors restrictions and not my Treating Doctor whom I've been seeing for the past 9 months. The Designated Doctor only saw me once which was 3 months ago. My "treating doctor" has every restriction box checked along with taking prescribed medications. The "designated doctor" only listed a limit on how much weight I can lift and nothing more. I was "ordered" to go back to work. Now my condition has been severely aggrivated by having to go back to work under his lack of restrictions. How can a "designated doctor" have more merit than a doctor who has been treating me all along?
    either doctor can be correct.
    when there is a difference of opinion the parties can have the court decide.
    second opinions provide valid medical evidence and are used regularly.

Blue Eyes
    How can a "designated doctor" have more merit than a doctor who has been treating me all along?
    He doesn't.

I would go with my treating doctor, his opinion would carry more weight than the designated quack.
    If you don't have a lawyer, consult and retain one pronto.

Tony
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm

How can a "designated doctor" have more merit than a doctor who has been treating me all along?
    DD is how TX comp law provides for resolution of disputed medical issues.
    DD generally over rides your PTP, as SH said, when/if you want to dispute that finding, you go to court.

DD evaluates you the day of the exam, reviews medical records provided by the parties, including your PTP reports and forms an opinion.

Bvia
    DD is how TX comp law provides for resolution of disputed medical issues.
    DD generally over rides your PTP, as SH said, when/if you want to dispute that finding, you go to court.
    Where did you get that from?

I thought the poster was referring to an IME, not sure about a DD and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Tony

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind, I found it.

Texas Labor Code - Section 408.0041. Designated Doctor Examination

(e) The designated doctor shall report to the division. The report of the designated doctor has presumptive weight unless the preponderance of the evidence is to the contrary. An employer may make a bona fide offer of employment subject to Sections 408.103(e) and 408.144(c) based on the designated doctor's report.

But, it also says the employee may have his doctor at the exam:
    (g) Except as otherwise provided by this subsection, an injured employee is entitled to have a doctor of the employee's choice present at an examination requested by an insurance carrier under Subsection (f). The insurance carrier shall pay a fee set by the commissioner to the doctor selected by the employee. If the injured employee is subject to a workers' compensation health care network under Chapter 1305, Insurance Code, the doctor must be the employee's treating doctor.
    http://law.onecle.com/texas/labor/408.0041.00.html

So, my question to the poster is, did you have your doctor present at this exam?
    If not, why?
    Your doctors input could've had an influence on the DD's opinion, it might've made all the difference.

Tony
    We reserve the right to forbid any user from participating in this forum, and to close any user account, at any time, for any reason. In the interest of the community, this may be done without prior notice or warning.
    http://www.workerscompensationinsura...inks/index.htm