Illinois Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured Illinois Workers

• Illinois Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• Illinois Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Exclamation My Work Comp Lawyer Will Not Return My Calls

Hi i am new to this forum and not sure if i am using it correctly. I starting having pain in my lower back on 8/7/2012 on my job while i was reaching into a large laundry bin to rectrieve specimens to sort. My job consist of long hours of standing in one place sorting specimens and twisting turning and reaching my body in award movements for 9 yrs. My work comp claim was initally declined however, my doctors are treating me. MY lawyer will not return my calls when i have questions. He has gone to 2 hearings since and the last one was on 1/28/2013. He told me i do not have to attend and he will let me know what the outcome. My treating doctor has released me to work however under restrictions and i am still being treated. I dont know why he has not returned my calls and I dont know what the status of my claim is. Doctor keeps asking me and I dont know what to tell him. I had 3 epidural inj without any relief and scld for a facet joint inj in march. One ortho surg suggested spine fusion. Dont what do

Default Re: My Work Comp Lawyer Will Not Return My Calls

You already know the status of your case. You just posted it.

The status of your claim is that you had a hearing exactly two weeks ago and the lawyer will let you know the outcome. He has not called you back so apparently there is no outcome yet. That is typical in workers' comp cases; you don't get an immediate decision. The lawyer has not returned the calls because he does not have time to call you back and tell you that he will let you know the outcome.

Tell the doctor you had a hearing on Jan 28 and are waiting for the decision. The status of your claim should have no bearing on the Doctor's medical judgment.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law

how far do you live form the lawyers office? the least he should do is return your calls. have you sent him emails?

As much as we want to think we are the only clients they have, i am guilty of acting this way at times, he probably has hundreds of cases he is currently dealing with. You just have to be patient. Nothing comes quickly in the WC world. I have one of the best attorneys in the state and I find myself in the dark sometimes. We just have to remember, they are doing everything they can for our claims and we will be notified if anything changes. He told me most people only care about the money they are going to get and not the process it takes to get it. Don't push him too far or he may have you find a new attorney..

Eric hits on an important point. Lawyers are not ethically required to say "how high" when a client says "jump." And most lawyers greatly resent clients who exhibit that expectation.

It sounds to me that the lawyer is already communicating what needs to be communicated. A lawyer bogged down returning unneccessary client calls and re-communicating the same information to an anxious client who does not recognize any limits to the relationship is not a productive lawyer, and someone's case may not be handled well as a result of this drain on the lawyer's time.

Clients sometimes are not reasonable in their expectations of what kind of communications they should get from their lawyer. People who would never dream of calling their doctor's office three times a week will call their lawyer's office for an "update" on a slow moving matter more frequently than that. When the lawyer has a question or has news for you, the lawyer will get in touch.
    The North Carolina Court of Appeals has held that "In contested Workers' Compensation cases today, access to competent legal counsel is a virtual necessity." Church v. Baxter Travenol Labs, Inc., and American Motorists Insurance Company, 104 N.C. App. 411, 416 (1991).

Bob Bollinger, Attorney at Law