New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Default How Long Does the Worker's Compensation Bureau Keep its Records

Dear IW's , Does anyone know how far back in time that the NYWCB keeps case records? . I had a case , over 21 years ago , that was closed after surgey , healing & returning to my work , untill my present WCB case was opened . I do recall something about the State Insurance Fund having to take care of any future medical ( Pertaining to that specific case ) , for 18 years ? I testified truthfully to the ALJ about this , but I simply cannot remember everything , & I do not have any records either . Any answers or opinions will be appreciated !
    FORMER , WINDOWMAN

Default Re: How Long Does the Worker's Compensation Bureau Keep its Records

IF you had an attorney at the time have you checked with him to see if HE/SHE still have the records ? or .... I would just call WC and ask that question, MAYBE they can look it up by name or SS # ? (try the WC 'Advocate' ?)...just some thoughts.
    Not to scold you... but, I am so paranoid, I keep every stinking piece of paper from WC and insurance carrier going back to 1989........

I would think yes but they might charge you for retrieving any records.. IMO they keep records on everything..forever...

Thanks to both of you .......................... keepup the good fight !
    FORMER , WINDOWMAN

I had a case , over 21 years ago , that was closed after surgey , healing & returning to my work , untill my present WCB case was opened . I do recall something about the State Insurance Fund having to take care of any future medical ( Pertaining to that specific case ) , for 18 years ?
    Who's looking/asking for the prior claims file?
    IMHO... I wouldn't worry much about this... you treated/recovered/return to work. SIF isn't going to pay for more treatment, they will claim you have reinjured, or suffered a new injury, which would be a new claim with current ER.
    IF... If there is to be coinjoined liability here, let the carriers duke it out with the judge. It's not your problem.