New York Worker's Compensation - Help For Injured New York Workers

• New York Worker's Compensation - Quick facts about worker's compensation law, benefits and lawyer fees.

• New York Worker's Compensation Resources - Links and resources for injured workers.

Unhappy Finding Doctors Accepting Out-of-State Workers Comp

I've been on NYS work. comp since 1999. I was awarded compensation payments for the rest of my life.

I couldn't settle and take a lump sum as I could not live on that money. I need to live with my
    family in Georgia or No. Carolina. I can't afford to live in N.Y. anymore. I've called orthopedic
    doctors in those States and they do not accept NYS w/c. I'm extremely nervous about this
    and don't know where to turn to. I must get out of N.Y. but I also need a doctor where I move to.
    I'm desperate! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: Finding Doctors Out of State Accepting Nys Work. Comp Insurance

Kneebow here,
    Have you asked your doctor there if maybe he/she can refer someone to you from either of those state?

- - - Updated - - -

Kneebow here,
    Carolann K, I sent you a private message. Please let me know if you don't get it.

Out of state providers have enough difficulty dealing with their own state comp mandates... as well as fee schedules.
    They are not subject to NYS laws.

Talk to your claims adjuster, there may be Dr/providers on their lists... talk about a settlement that includes money for future medical. If you haven't already, apply for SSDI, you would be Medicare eligible in 24 mos...you could settle with a setaside arrangement, when that money is gone, Medicare would pick up benefits.

I am in FL with a NY WC case.
    I sure can identify with your problem ! Some time ago I found a list that WC had put out for FL doctors that according to them accept NY WC. The list was bull. I called everybody on the list within about 150 miles....that is the ones that had local numbers. For some only NY State phone numbers were given. Figured that's a waste of time....

I also called the carrier, they claimed to have no information available....

When I needed back surgery I was unable to find a surgeon. It seemed nobody would accept NY WC, not even IF pre approval for surgery was given by carrier...
    I finally contacted the MAYO CLINIC in Jacksonville located on the E. Coast...I live on the W. Coast. THEY WERE willing to accept my case, SUBJECT TO PRE APPROVAL...however the Carrier never issued the PROMISED pre approval. Did find out that they have a whole department devoted to WC....
    So, eventually ( after about 6 months) I had no choice and went to the Emergency of my local hospital, where at first they too were unwilling to take me on for surgery because it was not a 'Life threatening' situation....ha, my family doctor already had given me his home phone as he was afraid that I could go paralyzed at any moment.... finally when I totally 'cracked up' the emergency doc apparently took pitty on me and contacted the very same local orthopedic surgeon who I had approached previously and who did not take NY WC. This time, don't know why,(did not care as to reason, just knew I needed surgery) he took the case. BTW ....was treated like dirt in his office post surgery, as if I carried the pest...

Anyhow my family doctor, who also does not take WC agreed to take my case, however THAT'S a lot of 'fun' too...he means well, but....as he acknowledges 'he does not know anything about WC' (so I have a real 'advocate' in my pocket....uh) Getting any kind of report out of him is like pulling teeth (he is only use to filling out standard forms for Medicare on a computerized check list basis...(actually I think that in comparison it would be a pleasure to have some teeth pulled).
    Despite of all this I am totally dependend on this primary doctor and my biggest fear is that maybe some day, for some reason he may not be around. I suppose I would have to activate a frequent flier club and see a doctor 'up north'

Sorry about going off in a 'speel'...

Because of what I had been told at the MAYO CLINIC my suggestion would be to see if there is one around the 'neck of the woods' that you plan on moving to, as you'll probably be able to 'hook up' with them.
    Best wishes !

one orthopedic spetialist ive found accepting ny comp in fl after two months of searching the office is over 2 hours from me but hope it closrer to you Plantation office
    350 N. Pine Island Road, Suite 200
    Plantation, FL 33324
    Phone: 954.476.8800
    Fax: 954.476.1362

Default Re: Finding Doctors Accepting Out-of-State Workers Comp

Did you find anyone in NC to accept NYS workers comp?

Quote Quoting Carolann K View Post
    I've been on NYS work. comp since 1999. I was awarded compensation payments for the rest of my life.

I couldn't settle and take a lump sum as I could not live on that money. I need to live with my
    family in Georgia or No. Carolina. I can't afford to live in N.Y. anymore. I've called orthopedic
    doctors in those States and they do not accept NYS w/c. I'm extremely nervous about this
    and don't know where to turn to. I must get out of N.Y. but I also need a doctor where I move to.
    I'm desperate! Does anyone have any suggestions?
    - - - Updated - - -

Default Re: Finding Doctors Accepting Out-of-State Workers Comp

Quote Quoting NEED NC workers comp View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I have been in Rocky Mount, NC for the past four years and it was hard finding an orthopedic doctor that would take ny work. comp. My primary doctor from my social security disability referred me to Carolina Sports and Spine in Rocky Mount, NC they have an office in Wilson, NC also. I hope this helps.