Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Default Re: People do suicide over workers comp

Before I retired I was working as a Deputy Sheriff. I came across a car parked on a rural road late at night. Contacted the driver who was there to commit suicide. After talking with person I found out her W.C. insurance carrier was screwing her badly and she was depressed and in pain.

Interesting thing, I was fighting the same insurance co. for a on the job injury too! We had a long talk and the lady drove away and never killed herself.

Go figure, oh the Ins. Co. was Claims Management.

You did a (very, very) good deed that night....and have no doubt even earned yourself an extra seat on the 'transport' to heaven..!

I found out her W.C. insurance carrier was screwing her badly and she was depressed and in pain.

Depression after a long term illness/injury is not unusual...and WC cases are not unique to this...unfortunately.

The biggest difficulty IW's have with the system is thinking of the WC coverage/benefits being like their regular health insurance....the two are distinctly different in many ways, and should NOT be thought of in the same capacity. Your entitlement to treatment in WC is severly limited vs regular health insurance.

Fortunately for you, as a Deputy Sheriff, you are entitled to additional benefits the rest of us are not privilidged to receive.

BTW...''the Ins. Co. was Claims Management.''
    Sheriff/Police depts, as a rule, are 'self insured'....the "Claims Management" company is a TPA..or "Third Party Administrator", handling the WC claims for your ER (employer).

I believe worker's compensation has unique problems that do not exist with other forms of insurance. Not only is healthcare denied for long periods in many cases, but many i/w's feel abused in other ways. People are not only injured, but also lose the income they feel entitled to. If you get sick and lose your job it can be easier to accept than when you are injured doing your job, especially when you feel the injury could have been prevented. There is the additional element that many, many times the i/w is made to feel like a liar for claiming benefits in the first place (surveillance, IME misbehavior etc.). Worker's Compensation is therefore often much harder on people. I often gather, when reading the forums, that i/w's do not expect w/c treatment to equal other health insurance, but that they are treated in an almost sub-human fashion, often for what they perceive as frivolous reasons. While health insurance can be a red tape laden bureaucracy, Worker's Compensation is much more adversarial. Combine this with the difficulty of finding an avenue to effectively air one's grievances, and understand the rules and it can be very, very difficult.

This subject is very near and dear to my heart you could say.

Please don't commit suicide. But not for the usual cliche reasons. The reason I offer you is a more pragmatic one. The people and system who drove you to this place will not be impacted one little bit by your death. Only the people who care about you will be.

Who are you mad at? Yourself and your loved ones? Or the individuals who created and operate this assembly line of broken lives? Don't hurt innocent people. You're too good of a person for that.

Our lives may be forfeit. We may not be able to prevent pain to our loved ones who watch us finished off by this system of injustice. Don't choose to go out with a whimper. Make a difference.

My dad had an injury and 99, and he tried everything he could can get back to work and continuously had to fight workers compensation for approval of treatments. After enough years his entire life became laying in bed hiding away and not talking to anyone cuz nobody wanted to hear it and when he did head outside he was being followed. I've lived around my dad many times throughout the years of the struggle, it's a terrible life to be injured in pain not able to function like a normal person and also they persecuted and live in fear of surviving because your benefits could be cut off at any time. My father was a kind and active man before his injury. Everything faded away after a few years of multiple surgeries, medications and continued legal battles. I was always worried that you would overdose on a medication.
    even if he had the will to fight through the pain he was still required to be medicated, or be deemed okay and fit for work and not needing benefits. After about 18 years or so he decided to take his own life. I feel like he really he was getting older and the pain would not get any better I wish there was a way to show the insurance companies that it's their fault.

Around 2012 he thought his case had been settled with only health benefits and he decided to make a change and start moving on with his life a bit, at least he didn't have to continuously deal with legal issues. Then about six months later he was told that his case was appealed and reopened...

After all this time listening to his struggles and constant issues and battles, .... in the end, all I can do is be grateful that he is no longer in pain..

My father shot himself in the head three days before his 63rd birthday.

I'm grateful I got to spend the last year close to him. But now there are private investigators around me, and state agencies sending me letters telling them that I owe them back money from his case. Anyone who's on this forum I wish you well, no one should ever have to go through these issues through the pain and persecution

RSMO
    But now there are private investigators around me, and state agencies sending me letters telling them that I owe them back money from his case.
    Private investigators are expensive, that's why they're only hired in cases where fraud is suspected or in the settlement phase of a claim to verify the integrity of a case.
    The carrier won't pay for more than a week or two of survelliance, it's too expensive and bears little if any fruit.
    So, if you're being surrounded, it's not by PI's.
    Without knowing the details, why would "you" owe money on "his" case - that makes no sense.

I feel like he really he was getting older and the pain would not get any better I wish there was a way to show the insurance companies that it's their fault.
    Suicide is a strange phenomena, there is no one answer as to why one kills themselves.
    I've seen happy people with a perfect life, poor people with a miserable life, people in pain, people without pain and on and on commit suicide.
    It's a strange deal, it's a personal choice and I guess we have to accept that choice and move on.

True story:
    I once received a a call, I wont say from who - this person told me they where lying on the rail tracks waiting for a train to come (looking for sympathy and trying to make me feel guilty)
    I told them, "why do that, jump in front of a truck, it's quicker" and hung up.
    By confronting them, I disabled the pay off - this person didn't follow up and is still alive today.

One thing I do know is it's a selfish act - people who commit suicide hurt the innocent who loved them, if they gave one dam about anything but themselves they would reconsider.
    This is why I have little sympathy for the person who commits this act - my sympathy goes to their parents, spouses, children and friends who have to live on thinking they may be the fault.
    Suicide is about avoiding life and making others feel guilty - I have little respect or sympathy for those who choose to do so, they have nothing coming here.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
    1-800-273-8255
    https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.

Quote Quoting tony View Post

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
    We can all help prevent suicide. The Lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources for you or your loved ones, and best practices for professionals.
    1-800-273-8255
    https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

Tony
    Thanks for this Tony, I deal with alot of this at MTBI web sites......Its important for people to know its not that bad....we all can get through this together!.....We live in a cold world where people are treated like numbers.....But never give up on hope!....I have been there and know things get better!

Quote Quoting mfelde View Post
    im considering it, i wont be the first one or the last. i just dont give a f**** about living anymore. workers comp has made my life miserable and has ruined me

24-7 pain and the mean spirited shitt that insurance companies, doctors lawyers and employers do to people is eneough to make any intelligent person go insane. the depression is intolerable! its not anger turned inward anymore for me its IM DOWNRIGHT ANGRY .

i do have a few plans and some things to take care of first though before i make my final exit.

i will let all of you that are going thru this hhell on earth try to figure out what that may be.

the insurance people? save your money! and f**** you ! i hope your buildings crumble in an earthquake or catches fire !

im going to a place where no one will ever find me! and my teeth will be removed so theres no dental records to identify me. if and when some bee ess agency finds me.

i was free when i came into this world and im going to leave free" in not taking a f****ing number to my grave! yes im going to just dissapear! its only "paper" so why should anyone give a damn

i quit! tired of chronic pain,lies and this injured worker mindf****

i still got free speech i suppose for a while anyway

I hope you that you have counsel. It took mine over seven years.