Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    samuel Guest

    Default What are the Odds of MRI Misinterpretation

    Of a radiologist seeing a SLAP tear on an arthrography MRI of the shoulder if there isn't one? I mean, are they usually pretty accurate? I know someone who is going in for diagnostic surgery soon to see if there is a tear. I guess because the insurance company doesn't believe the MRI result. And if the surgeon does sees a tear while he's in there, he's not allowed to fix it. Seems like a waste to me if the MRI shows one.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 1971
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Something you will see the Insurance company will shell out money on PI's, wanna be doctors, Lawyers, etc... But not pay the injured worker. In my opinion Insurance is nothing but a "legal scam". If they are sending you to "another" doctor to check for this tear, I would also go to someone not related to the insurance company and get a third opinion. And I would also mention it to their doctor you have another appointment with another doctor to also check it. This might make the doctor be a "little" more truthful.

  3. #3
    samuel Guest

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize until after I posted what was going on on this board here. I'm truley sorry for the loss. And from what I've read here, he will be greatly missed.

    Yeah, I'm aware of what insurance companies are capable of. It's a downright shame. Obviously.

    But do you think that if an MRI shows evidence of a tear, that there most likely is one?

    I wonder if the insurance co knows that there is but is using another tactic in order to stall somemore.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 1971
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Samuel

    My suggestion is to get a good Workers Comp. Lawyer and fast. Thanks for the condolences, but our friend is ok. Someone was pulling a sick joke. But all that matters is he is alive and well.

  5. #5
    por Guest

    Default

    Samuel;
    An arthrogram will never miss a labral tear and CT or MRI are about equal as for the imaging part.

  6. #6
    samuel Guest

    Default

    Thank you POR. So the insurance Co is stalling then.
    Makes no sense to not allow the Doc to just fix it whlie he's in there already.

    They're just causing even more pain and suffering...

    I'm really glad to hear Knowknees is ok.

  7. #7
    samuel Guest

    Default

    MJ,
    There is a lawyer, but no matter what he does the insurance company always seems to have another trick up thier sleeve.

  8. #8
    por Guest

    Default

    SAMUEL;
    Clarification since nothing in medicine is ever 100%.
    - MR arthrography had a sensitivity of 89% (17 of 19 patients), a specificity of 91% (30 of 33 patients), and an accuracy of 90% (47 of 52 patients) [5]
    - Compared with arthroscopy as the gold standard, MR arthrography showed a sensitivity of 82% and a specificity of 98% for the overall detection of SLAP lesions [6]

    You may inerpret this to say that an MRI/arthrogram will detet 89 % of all existing SlAP lesions ( 11 % false negative rate ) and if there are findings consistent with a SLAP lesion seen on the film then there is a 98 % chance that same will be found at surgery ( 2 % false positive rate )

    Frankly that's about as good as it can get in medicine. ASk the insurer if they know that there is only a 2% chance the MRI is wrong and that the best combination of physical exam tests; i.e. SlAPprehension maneuver, Crank test, O'Brian test, don't come anywhere near that close so what is the point of the exam ?

  9. #9
    sam Guest

    Default

    Wow, very informative! Thank you POR.

  10. #10
    sam Guest

    Default

    I'm sorry. Were you asking me whats the point of the exam? According to them, it's to find out if the injury is compensable or not. Even though they sent him to an IME in August for the same reason.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 05:06 AM
  2. What Are the Odds?
    By tooter9565 in forum North Carolina
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 11:38 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 


Find a Lawyer