Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Total Knee Replacement

I had my knee scoped after getting injured at work, no problem with comp system at all..However, not any better, doc today said I need total knee replacement.Said it is degenerative arthritis,however, since both knees look the same and only the injured knee is very swollen and hurts he feels it is definately work comp issue...I am afraid comp will say no and then blue cross will say no it is a work issue and I will be in the middle...Has ANYONE ever gotten a total knee replacement with work comp?

Default Re: Total knee replacement

hi,
    get a good worker compensation attorney asap!
    then just wait and see...............thanx max

MaxCrucial is right get a good Workers Comp attorney that is the best advice

if/when the doctors are in dispute about whether it's comp then you can have the comp judge decide.

Kathy, first get an attorney, second think long and hard about a total knee replacement, third if a replacement is required then call around to find out which physician has the best results, last check out the hospital to see if it has a good rating by former patients. Remember, just because a Doc does hundreds of surgeries a month doesn't make him the best to go to and find a hospital that has a low infection rate, something they have to keep up with. Sad thing is I trusted an Ortho I thought was good, one I had worked around, and he screwed my knee up causing me to have a revision because the first one was so unstable. After my last surgery I overheard him bragging about how fast he could perform a total knee! Hindsight is 20/20. Good Luck!!!

I have total confidence in the Mayo Clinic...I know what I am doing honest LOL..doctors are not in disagreement...My question was has anyone ever had comp cover it ... I amfraid I will be between the comp system and my insurance...they have to fight it out but in the meantime i suffer..I saw 3 other othro surgeons before ending up at Mayo. Been a long battle to just get back to what i was before i was hurt .thanks all...

My mother had total knee replacements (both sides) although in separate surgeries a year apart. She still has pain and trouble walking and questions whether it was worth going through. But then, she is old and over weight and has other health problems that might have impacted the out come. She also had it done at Kaiser. Who would let a medical facility named after dinner roll operate on them? My mother, that's who.

Kathy, if you say you know what you're doing I believe you and the Mayo clinic is certainly a trusted name and tends to spread evenly, complimenting most any kind of sandwich. Still, suthin man gives good advice which I would like to add too. Drop into the surgery center sometime and speak to the surgery nurses as they are the most likely source of first hand information on the surgeons who operate there. They can recommend the best and know the dirt and generally aren't afraid to be candid if approached in the right way. They work with these surgeons and see them in practice. Remember what Reagan said, "trust but verifie". I wouldn't trust any doctor unless he was a long standing personal friend, or unless he or she had earned that trust. I agree with your use of the term "confidence". This is really the best we can hope for and, like you, to know what we are getting ourselves into. Good luck!

Kathy, I'm glad you have faith in your physicians. As far as W/C covering the surgery you may want to take a deep breath and settle in for a fight. They will try to say your problem is pre-existing. Mine did and ended up having surgery through regular health ins. Now company is fighting to try to not pay the health coverage provider the money back. Hope things turn out well for you!

This is a silly question but a sincere one...everyone says to get a lawyer...why?

Quote Quoting kathy View Post
    This is a silly question but a sincere one...everyone says to get a lawyer...why?
    Because you are dealing with a w/c insurance company in a "no fault" settlement process that is as adversarial as it gets and they will have lawyers working against you, who will be expecting that you don't know all your rights and who will act to advantage your advisory, in as much as possible. The lawyer's contingency fee is a fixed percent of the settlement and you really don't know what the future holds. So why not? The IC is not going to act in your best interest unless forced to do so, by what extent the law provides. The law is set up to employ lawyers. That's just how it is. You just need to be sure that the lawyer you get will put your best interest first, so take care in picking one. Believe me, you don't want to be a pro per if you can possibly help it. Good luck.