Default Psychiatric Illness Claim Accepted by DOL

I'll make this brief since we are all stressed Feds. I've been approved for my claim. Yes I hired a lawyer although he did not have to do much the documentation was good. I may be stressed but I'm still a Fed. My PD basically stated that I had daily dealings with hostile/belligerent people day in and day out. I was approved for Depressive Disorder. Almost lost my job, my apartment, I did lose my friends......blah blah blah. Of everything I lost I miss my mind the most. Has anyone got any constructive advice or definitive answers on schedule awards or recovering emotional damages. My shrink says I will be on meds for the rest of my life. I alternated between being suicidal and wanting to lash out at others for a solid 2 years. I worked/work for the Department of Veterans Affairs at a Medical Center in a chronically understaffed area. I am at a loss now that I have found out that there is a bias for compensation of an emotional injury. It does not make the pain I am in any less real. Thanks to any who feel compelled to post. And to those that are in other stages of the journey I wish I could say it gets less confusing.

Question Re: Psychiatric Illness Claim accepted by DOL

I too have a similar claim pending and would like to gain insight on the road blocks ahead. Any help would be appreciated.
    See my post. Broth

Default Re: Psychiatric Illness Claim accepted by DOL

Fed, if it's anything like this state, southern, there's no such thing as pain and suffering as part of the settlement. We get the pain and suffering and the I/Cs and attorneys fill their wallets.

Talking Re: Psychiatric Illness Claim accepted by DOL

Seven years into w/c physical injuries beyond repair..and mental depression also..due to pain and injuries..and the w/c system. Now on SSD and getting ready to settle with w/c..No there is no pain and suffering money to be had..they just dont pay for it and dont care. Its all based on if your doctor says you are total disabled or temp. Mine says total..I am settling for a medicare set aside acct and some cash..because medicare does not pay for w/c related injuries..the setaside acct//is mandatory..which is to protect them (medicare) and you ...both. W/c will keep you hanging on for as long as you can stand it..or it kills you..It has amost killed me and now I know its time to let go of the thought of ever getting what I deserve..so I am settling..and thats excatly what it is..settling for whatever they will give you or whatebver you will take and go away.
    I hope you have a good attorney..you will need one! Good Luck and God Bless!
    Trust me its not worth killing yourself over...if I had it all to do over again..I would never went to work there.

The best thing I can recommend is see if you can get in with a Mental Health provider that has possibly treated others at your agency. I stumbled upon my guy but he sees many patients from my facility so he is familiar with the garbage that goes on in the federal workplace. The understanding of the environment on the provider's part will help with essential documentation.

Secondly, save all your receipts for medical care, RX, etc. when they approve you claim you will need copies of all the receipts. That is hard to do when you are messed up I was shredding everything because I was resentful and felt/feel incredibly betrayed.

If you have phrases in your PD that say outright that you are working in a stressful environment (I did) this is some of the best proof. This includes interactions with the public, exposure to adverse conditions, etc. My claim involved interactions with the public verses with co-workers or supervisors. It was a short staffed area I was senior and was often left alone or with a trainee with a constant stream of people who were seeking federal benefits info. It got ugly at times.

Keep documentation of everything. I never was off for an extended period I just needed immediate reassignment because I was being pulled in so many directions I could no longer control my actions or words even with meds. Being single I could never be off work and survive when they wanted to admit me to an inpatient psychiatric unit because I was a danger to myself and others I could not consent. I contracted for safety and had to use every ounce of strength to get through the next few months.

OWCP will also focus on other stressors in your life at the time of he events of the claim write a narrative (factual!) putting them in perspective so they can't say this is what caused your stress. My Mother and Grandfather both died of brain cancer at the height of my claim.

Find a lawyer that works on a contingency basis if you can! If I come up with more info I will post it. Hope this helps!

Quote Quoting suthin_man View Post
    Fed, if it's anything like this state, southern, there's no such thing as pain and suffering as part of the settlement. We get the pain and suffering and the I/Cs and attorneys fill their wallets.
    well said!!!! and true !!!!

Default Re: Psychiatric Illness Claim Accepted by DOL

I have written an article about emotional claims under the FECA. If you would like a copy, send me an e-mail at gr@nmcounsel.com

FYI
    chapter 15 of the AMA 5th edition gives the rating criteria for spine; chapter 14 covers mental and behaviorial disorders.

As a vet(me) how did u get stress? Talk about stress well your about to see a lot of stress dealing with workers compensation. Think about the people who gave you your stress now you know why they were a pain in the (south) keeping it clean. good luck and give it hell.
    Last edited by tlitruck4779; 07-18-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: (me)

is it still current. do you know of any contingency attorney?