Question Doctor sneeks case manager in room no int.

I went to doctor the other day and when he came into the room there was a man with him.The doctor did not introduce the man and the man said nothing.The doctor does no examination of me other than looks at my back where I had a soft tissue sarcoma (dermotofibrossarcoma proturabins) removed a few years ago.Now when my injury first happened the insurance tried to say that the cancer had came back so they ordered an MRI with contrast the doctor laughed at the time and said no way.QUOTE:That form of cancer does not move into the bones or cartilidges.Anyway the doctor had me stand up and raise my shirt to show this man the site where the sarcoma was extracted.then the doctor stated I had bone spurs with no further examination or diagnostic studies(MRI,X-RAY,CT).There was no introduction to the man and the doctor and man left the room and a nurse came in.Could this have been a case manager and haw legal is this I thought the case manager could only come into the room if you allowed him to.Was this legal?

Default Re: Doctor sneeks case manager in room no int.

After the fact, it's kind of difficult to "unring the bell" about having someone in the office visit with you. It could have been a new doctor in the practice or something similar, or you could well be right that it was a nurse case manager on your case.

The NCM has no right to be in the office visit with you with the doctor, without your consent. He/she knows that very clearly, though many of them will push as far as they can to interfere in your care, if you don't push back. They do enough to block your treatment/force the doctor's hand without being in the room. However, in this one instance, while it was improper for him to be there without your consent, by not speaking up and saying "Who is he, and why is he here?" before starting your examination, there's probably not much to be done.

I would, however, demand that any further treatment/examination be done with no one else in the room.

I would expand on that to incule no one else in the room "except licensed medical personel". If this really was a ncm and your doctor allowed this without your knowledge and approval I would also be shopping for a new doctor as this one apparently does not have your best interest in mind. Not to mention he is willing to breach the doctor patient confidentiality that is standard in the business. Hopefully it will turn out to be a med student, new doc, NP, or someone else in the medical field that was with your doc.

Take care

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

I think that if anyone other than you and your doc are in the room, you have an absolute right to know who that person is, and why he/she is there. I also think you have an absolute right to exclude anyone you want from your visit with your doctor.

As far as SteelMagnolia's point about seeing about getting a new doctor, it's not too easy to accomplish in TN WC claims. You can ask to begin treatment with someone else from the original panel, but the IC's probably going to give you a hard time.

It's most likely the man was a physician in training; resident or intern.