Default Pain at Physical Therapy

When you go to their office, and begin therapy, and they are hurting your foot, what do you do? Will they not push you hader to make you ache.

If you tell them your foot is hurting, do they make you continue, or do they let you stop and turn you in for not following WC rules?
    How can they do therapy if you continue to hurt?
    Lue

Default Re: Pain at Physical Therapy

Lue, a small amount of pain is to be expected when beginning PT. Especially if you have limited the use of your foot for some time. It should NOT be moderate and certainly not severe pain. If they are pushing you into extreme pain have you told your doc how bad they are hurting you in PT? If not might I suggest you make an appointment ASAP and make him aware of this. Preferably BEFORE your next PT appointment.

That old no pain no gain BS is for the birds especially where an injury is concerned. High School football coaches have pulled that no pain no gain BS on kids for years. Sometimes causing lifelong injuries and even they are starting to come around to the fallacy of the idea that it has to hurt to help you. PT's should already know better than to cause excessive pain while helping you regain your ROM and strength.

Take Care,

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

If the doctors are under the IC heavy hand to say you can go back to work no matter how bad you hurt, then I am concerned about the PT. The IC wouldn't allow PT for the first few weeks, which I am thankful for because of pain. Come to find out, they had dropped original PT group and was looking for a new one in this area. I couldn't just go to the hospital even though the doctor gave me the papers to go there.

So they have found one they can have control over and I am very paranoid about this being a repeat of the last two WC doctors, except with a lot of pain.
    Has anyone ever had this problem repeated in PT?
    Lue

Today, PT cancelled my appointment. This is the second time. I wonder if it has to do with IC?
    Lue

That or it might have something to do with the excessive pain you were having when they were doing the PT. Have you talked to your doc about it yet? How many total PT sessions have you been to? These days most IC's limit the number of times you can have for PT to the same body part/injury. This is true with WC as well as private insurance. Lue don't wait to ask why and find out what is going on. This simply is NOT in your best interest. You need to be on the phone first thing this morning with the IC, your doc, or the PT, and FIND OUT why.

Take Care,

Steel
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

Steel, At this point, either the company or the IC has stopped me from going to PT. Since May, they have stated that they didn't have a PT since they had dropped the last group. That is hard for me to believe since there are other offices in the next towns. Their injured must be going to some PT.

Now they find a PT, and an appointment was made two weeks ago. At the last moment, the PT called and said they sched. the wrong day. I resceduled it. Then yesterday, they call early in the morning and say the PT is sick. Now I get paranoid.

This weekend, the burning of legs,(both) came back. Sat and Sun. It was there after the accident, went away, and now is back. Could not sit or lay down this weekend. By the time I got to work, I felt like I was losing my mind from the burning. I could not get comfortable, and I wanted to cry and walk out.

I call doctor to see if I can get in. No one returns the call. Then I call the first doctor and no one calls back. I call back after 4 hours, and I get in.

I explained what this company was doing. About no restroom and having to go outside in the middle of town and hope I timed it when no one was coming, and the manager dogging me out in front of 3 other people. She said to turn them in and hold my ground, then gave me 3 days off from work until the other doctor sees me. I left the note with part time superviser last night.

"Butthead" manager calls me this morning wanting to know why I am at home. I gave him one word only answers. "Pain." "Back." etc..... He was tiffed. He then tells me that it's my responsibility to report to I IC since I am not at work. He said when I was at work, they could help me with my treatment (???????) and now it would be different. I no longer can call the office, I can only deal with IC and to call and get instructions from them.

I asked another worker yesterday about what I needed to do and they said to give note to manager, and they took care of it.
    Am I responsible now for handling the IC, calling them everyday and telling them what is going on or is my workplace supposed to handle that? I have a feeling that butthead is trying to work me again. If he told me that the sun was shinning, I would have to go outside and see myself to believe it.

I do not like my CW, and she tells me that I cannot have a prescription that will keep me from coming to work. I was given something that makes me sleepy, but the pain is 95% gone now. I have slept good today.
    I do not want her calling the doctor and telling him to only prescribe "Super Advil." That doesn't handle it.

I could understand all of this if I made a career out of living off of WC. I have not been off work since "89" from a wreck. I have no disiplinary actions against me at all since the 21 years I have been there. Not trying to sound perfect, but my record is good, so why all the pressure and harrassing?
    New manager comes in and wants to bust me. I am not a happy camper at this moment.

What to do....any suggestions?
    Lue

Steel, In my first posting here, I was trying to figure out what they would do when I got to PT. That is why I was asking if they push you and it makes your foot hurt, will the push you harder. I have never been to PT and I kept thiinking they would be trying to bend my legs and foot every way they could. I dreaded it. Thanks for telling me what to expectl.
    I thought about what you wrote and was afraid that I had made you think I was already in PT.
    Lue

You are right Lue I did take those first posts and ASS U ME that you already were in PT. Sorry. I know better. So the PT appointment that they canceled was for your eval and you have had NO PT yet is that right?

This system is definitely NOT designed to be user friendly. Well it is if you are the employer. All those years ago WC was designed to protect the IW and make sure that they were given proper medical treatment and not suffer financial hardship due to an on the job injury. Not so anymore. It is to protect the employer from liability, they don't give a RATS BUTT if the employee is protected. You can see that no longer than yo have been in the system. Can you imagine being one of these folks that are in the WC system for years on end and still have NO resolution. Ghurrrrrrr

Take care and I'll take to you later.

Steel
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.