Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would Anyone Be Interested In A W/C Seminar

I'm thinking about reserving a conference room at a local hotel to conduct an informational seminar on Tennessee Workers' Comp law in the East Tennessee area, and I wanted some input from the regulars on this board before I set it up.

First, would you be interested in a "seminar" type talk about the overall process of the TN WC system, with time for some question and answer as well?

Second, are there any specific topics on TN WC law that you find particularly confusing (other than all of it) that you think would need to be addressed?

Finally, how far would you be willing to drive to attend such a seminar (so I can decide on possible locations)?

I know there are a lot of good folks in this group, and I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks.
    JLJ

Default Re: Would Anyone Be Interested?

Wish you were in GA I sure would jump on the chance to go over WC law with an experienced attorney. From reading the web site for TN I would think the PPD calculation with the multiplier would be a hot topic. Understanding what items have an effect on the multiplier would be excellent information. Perhaps going over the time frames for each step in WC would be a good idea so folks would know a Little more what to expect and an approximate time. I think that most IW's would be interested in knowing how the open future medical works. Such a shame that more states don't follow suit where these items are concerned with WC.

Again it would be nice if you were in GA you could count on me to show up.

Good luck with this venture JLJ.

Steel
    "He who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client"
    Abraham Lincoln

Take Care and Be Well.

Quote Quoting SteelMagnolia View Post
    Wish you were in GA I sure would jump on the chance to go over WC law with an experienced attorney. From reading the web site for TN I would think the PPD calculation with the multiplier would be a hot topic. Understanding what items have an effect on the multiplier would be excellent information. Perhaps going over the time frames for each step in WC would be a good idea so folks would know a Little more what to expect and an approximate time. I think that most IW's would be interested in knowing how the open future medical works. Such a shame that more states don't follow suit where these items are concerned with WC.

Again it would be nice if you were in GA you could count on me to show up.

Good luck with this venture JLJ.

Steel
    wish i could afford to set something like this up in ohio. but at least i have this place. good luck with your idea.

Thanks for the kind words. I know there are a lot of people out there who need legal help on these cases, and sometimes, even if they hire an attorney, don't get the information they need to really understand what's going on with their case.

Default Re: Would Anyone Be Interested In A W/C Seminar

JLJ;sorry I havn't contacted you as of yet have tried on a couple of times to call but got an answering machine and left a message .Back to hurting (epidural has worn off)after less than 6 weeks.After working and hurting all day all I want to do is sleepor lay with heating pad.I start second round of physicle therapy monday and in pain.Travalers the insurance company came to where I work and and I was the one they called on because as they said I was picked out of a hat.They wanted to know why so many there was seuing and there is a lot.I started not to talk to them but I decieded to go ahead but let them know in advance that I would not discuss the case in any way.They said they wanted only to know whether the problem was them or the company I work for I don't know whether I did the right thing or not but I had to continually remind them that I wouldn't discuss the case.I did tell them that it was both them and the company "managment".I told them about the company breaking my restrictions and the harrassments and how the i/c company tried to blame my injury on everything from mussles to cancer to old age because the doctor put DDD on my diagnoses report.I told them that the work that mangement had me doing has had me in terrable pain for the last four months and that the only relief I've had was the epidural and it's gone they asked if I was happy with my doctor and I wasn't sure what to tell them so I danced around the subject by telling them that I don't what I neded but I new that I wasn' going to live my life in pain or on pain management the rest of my life.They asked me if I wanted surgery to fix my neck and I told them that I wasn't sure but I knew I needed to do something to change the way I was living at this moment.That morning when I came in to work a supervisor came up to me and told me to report to my old department and I was told that it would just be for that morning where I was put on a verry light duty job I figure while the i/c was there.Enough about me as far as a seminar that would be a verry good thing because like my attorney they don't always talk to you I haven't spoken with my attorney since the statementto the i/c when I call all I ever get is reception and she can't answer my questions you have answered more ofr me than he has and this is all verry confusing for everyone and they try to keep it that way.If there was a way to force a positive change in the w/c laws that would also be good be it patitions,pickets or whatever would force change because the one thing that I can see is that there is no face to the plight of the injured worker and without a face it is easy to make you irrelavent so it is easy to hide what actually goes on. put a face or thousands of faces and become a voice.You are helping a lot of people and good things come to those who help others.I wish I could come but that is over 400 miles from me because I would like to meet you THANKS FOR EVERYTHING.

JLJ, that is a wonderful idea! Although many of the participants in this Forum may not be able to attend because of geograghical constraints, I am positive that if you were to have a seminar in your area for Injured Workers that was publicised in advance, you would be lecturing to a "sell out crowd"...

Remember the movie "Field of Dreams"?

"Build it, and they will come".

If there is anything we on the Forums can assist you with, just say the word!

Any other thoughts from the regulars around here before I start making the preliminary plans on this? I'd really appreciate the input from the injured workers on the board.

Thanks again for all of the kind words and the consideration.

JLJ

Default Question for JLJ

I have not responded to your question about attending a seminar because I do have an attorney and so far do not have a problem with him other than sometimes his answers are elusive. I also think I am nearing the end of my dealings with WC. I am being optomistic about this. I may, however, find that everything goes south. If you do something in the Knoxville area I might be interested. Here is my question to you. In reading the Tennessee WC rules there is a comment about not returning to work and therefore will not be due any settlement, or something to that effect. I can't figure out if they are talking about after MMI or not. I have decided not to return to my previous job as it will cause me more problems than I want to deal with. 8 hours standing is just too much for my back. I do have another job offer. What is your take on this and do I need to let WC know I will be taking another job?
    Doni

Default Re: Question for JLJ

Well, so you know, I am in the Knoxville area, so you'd be more than welcome to any seminar I get set up. I'll make sure to post it to the board, so anyone that wants to can attend.

As far as the return to work thing, it's pretty much an issue only with the maximum multipliers that would apply to your case. The primary determining factor is really going to focus on the restrictions the doctor would place on you at MMI, and whether or not your employer can accommodate those restrictions.

In most cases, even if you don't think you can work your old job, but the docs think you can (and the employer has work for you within restrictions), then you're probably going to be found to have made a "meaningful return to work." That would cap your award at 1.5 times the medical rating.

I'm not sure of anything that says that you're not entitled to a settlement if you go back to work. You're never really entitled to a settlement. It's just something you work out to avoid further litigation.

I'd make the lawyer give you a satisfactory explanation for anything you want to know. That's why you're paying him 20% of your settlement/judgment.

JLJ, I would come to it in a heart beat if you were closer. When I saw that you were from Tennessee, I was so glad, then realized you were on the oppoiste end of the state. But it is a gread idea. I know there are so many people struggling with this problem of dealing with the companies and are afraid of being fired if they bring in too much attention. I imagine there are a lot of peope lurking out there that are afraid to write in, just from fear of being recognized by their employer.
    Lue