Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Eligibility for Retraining After FCE

after I have my FCE, I am supposed to have appt. with Dr. in a couple weeks to discuss it. thats what they tell me. if test shows can't return to old job does WC pay to train me for a new career. been truck driver for 20+ yrs. have no other skills. do I still draw WC pay till I get new training or job?

Default Re: Eligibility for Retraining After FCE

Snuffy,
    I understand the stress you are going through. Just the thought of the FCE makes me so tense. It's the unknown, and we don't know if the person doing the test is paid to make sure you fail it or write negative things. I was told one man (FCE'er) in another city, was definitely on a mission to make those people fail as they come through. The way the IC drops and hires these PT's and such, if they don't fail the major group of us, I figured then they will find someone who will.
    I was doing a search, and it shows a monitor they buy to test you with. They are told to keep the thing turned where you can't see it. I was told one thing they go by is your heart rate. They want your heart rate to rise I guess by exertion. Pain raises your heart rate up, and I wonder if they can detect the pain by the heart beat. I don't know how sophisticated this little machine is, but I think about how everything is turned against the IW and am afraid of how it will be used against us.

One thing that scares me is if they say I am faking it. I will be so angry and it will eat at me. I don't know if that is a concern of yours or not. After the way they have been doing, if they say I am injured, it will be a definite change of direction. Even though the x-rays and MRI's show different. Seems what we say about our pain should count for something. Will they make us go back and it be just a matter of days before we injure ourselves again? Or will they tell us they have nothing for us to do? I can't wait to go sit back in the office with the managers to be told I am not paid to sit, etc........

WC stands for "Third World Medical Treatment."

I just wanted to let you know that some others are in the same boat with you.

Let us know how it turns out.
    Lue

well if they judge your heart beat to pain level, then i can not pass, is has been already been determined that i been in pain so long, it do not raise my heart rate and or blood pressure. now what?

I went for the FCE. the therapist couldn't believe WC & employer were demanding this test. with the pain meds I'm on he said it would give a false positive, that I could lift more on the meds than could without them. they made me wait till that afternoon without any more meds about 6 hrs. did the ROM, then 10 lb. weight, when I did the 15lb. the therapist stopped the test, said my body was twisting in an unnatural position to cope with the pain and he feared I was causing more damage to myself without actually feeling it. I was glad he stopped it instead of me, I barely felt it but was aware of it and figured I wouldn't be able to do the 20lb. figure by him stopping it WC can't say I wouldn't try it. he stopped it not me. said I was the first to come for FCE who was still on pain meds regularly. I'm on percocet, morphine, muscle relaxers, cymbalta, nerve pills, and a sleeping pill. and still hurt. 3 bulging discs that are against nerve, WC won't let the dr. fix because they aren't ruptured!! CRAZY right?? when I try to tie my shoes I feel the pressure all the way down my leg to my toes. they want to close my case as soon as possible.

no but you can use the career centers to help with job search.
    http://tennessee.gov/labor-wfd/jobserv.htm

.SH went there didn't find anything on retraining at this website I could be wrong but I don't believe he ment a GED.Maybe I missed something please tell exactly where you seen training for new occupation on that website or help with training for new occupation.

Question Re: Eligibility for Retraining After FCE

not looking for GED. was told that if I couldn't return to old job WC would pay for training for different type of work. was just asking if that was true.

No, it's not true. Tennessee's workers' comp law does not provide vocational rehab/training.

You can get voc rehab/retraining from the State, but it's a completely separate program, not tied to workers' comp.

JLJ,What type of program would that be I have a high school deploma and some collage in information technologies(IT).What types of programs could they offer and will they help me go back to collage or at least a good tech. school.Is there a site to go to see what they offer.THANKS,HL

You know, I'm not sure of exactly what may be available to you, as your eligibility is subject to their review, but you may want to check out this website from the Dept. of Human Services.

http://www.tennessee.gov/humanserv/rehab/rehab_main.htm

Good luck.