Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy What do I do now?

I slipped and fell at a home while performing my duties at work. I knocked myself out and donít remember how I landed. When I woke up I called my boss on the radio (from the ground b/c I couldnít feel from waist down). I was taken to the hospital. They did CAT scan and x-rays and said that nothing was broke but I had a concussion and light bruises on my lower back. I went to the walk-in clinic doctor that my work sent me. He said "its just muscle pain. You will be fine in a couple on days. Go back to work on light duty." I kept all my appts. Months went by no relief in my back. So he finally sent me for a MRI. It showed that I had 4 herniated discs in my Upper back. He had marked the wrong part of my back on the order. Well he sent me to a surgeon (with the wrong MRI area) who said I was fine. He sent me to his partner (also a surgeon). He sent me to a Pain clinic. The 1st thing he did was do a MRI on my lower back which showed a Bulging disc. He did the 3 steroid injections. On the third one the camera showed a tear in my disc and was leaking. Now he had to refer me out b/c he was no longer in network for the WC INS. The new Dr. said thereís nothing we can do medically except give you meds and release you. In the mean while I was on light duty the whole time. My employer main office sent me a letter saying that I could only be on light duty for 180 days. So I lost my job. Iím about to get released. My Ex-employer wonít take me back due to me driving on the job and me being on meds. Yes I have a lawyer. My question is what do I do now? I want to go back but I would just have to put up with the pain without any meds.

Default Re: What do i do now?

You need to ask your lawyer what you are to do and if you do what you want to do, ask how it will affect whatever it is you have going...

I do not understand your first sentence:
    I slipped and fell at a home while performing my duties at work.
    How could you be at home while at work???

I'm an installer of a certain TV service.

http://www.state.tn.us/labor-wfd/wcfaq.html

"Following a work related injury, during the course of treatment, the treating physician may determine an injured employee can return to work ďlight duty.Ē Employee should get a detailed description of work restrictions from the doctor to provide the Employer. If the employer can provide work within those restrictions, they should do so. However, if the employer is unable to meet those guidelines, the injured employee could remain off work and his/her lost time pay would continue. If the employee earns less while restricted to light duty, the employee is entitled to "temporary partial disability" benefits. These payments are figured at 66 2/3% of the difference between light duty pay and full duty wages, subject to the maximum and minimum workers' compensation rates in effect on the day the employee was injured."

Quote Quoting kuntreeboy View Post
    I'm an installer of a certain TV service.
    Contractor or employee???

employee. So should i go put applications for a job since my own job refuses to take me back?

Well I have a week left till I find out wither they are going to put me back at MMI and release me to find a job on pain meds and muscle relaxers. Since I was fired b/c u canít be on light duty in TN over 180 days. My lawyer is telling me that if I know for certain that they are going to release me to be careful and wait till that day before searching for employment b/c it might mess up our case. Now in 1 week I will be living off nothing, still hurting, doctor doing nothing, and thatís what the INS company wants so that I will settle fast. Iím stressed out and so is my family. I guess that if you get hurt in TN you are basically #*&^$. Yall have fun.

Best I can suggest is to listen to your attorney. I would think that if you are in that much pain that the Dr would put you on pain management and if you are that drugged up it will be difficult (if not impossible) to find employment that would be SAFE for you and those around you.

Good luck to you and your family... Let us know what happens.

Quote Quoting kuntreeboy View Post
    Since I was fired b/c u canít be on light duty in TN over 180 days.
    There's nothing in the law in Tennessee that says you can only be on light duty for 180 days. The employer may have a policy that says no permanent light duty or no light duty work for more than 180 days, but the law doesn't say that at all.

Good luck with your case.

Well I am released by the doctor, but Iím stuck in limbo. My employer wonít accept me coming back b/c i'm not 100% and they havenít received any paperwork directly from the doctor. I had a slip that said I was released with no restrictions but they are saying that a different document from the doctor with my ppi (permanent partial impairment) will have permanent restrictions. If this is true, why did he give me a document with no restrictions if I had restrictions? Workman's Comp makes NO SENSE. They took my job away b/c of a loophole and now I canít get a job b/c everyone that I go to will call my old job for employment reference and they tell them that I have restrictions. No one will hire me. Iím no longer taking any meds b/c the doctor said, ďYour young just deal with the pain.Ē Now iím as moody as an over-termed pregnant woman. I guess that they just sit back and compare stories on how bad they treat their clients. (Fictitiously portraying my case worker) Oh yeah I sometimes forget to send my client his checks. And get this he has a wife and two kids, laughing profusely.(They changed the nice ones that had my case in the beginning to heartless chickens. Iím using the word "chickens" to keep from cursing.) I have a great lawyer that I hope he sticks it to them. I didnít have any clue that a little fall (and bump on the head) could cause such headache. Thank you all for help and support through this stressful situation. As my grandmother always says, "AND THIS TO WILL PASS." Again thank you everyone.