Thread: Broken Pin

Default Broken Pin

Good Morning,

I am recovering from surgery to repair the broken index finger with a severe laceration. I had two pins put in during surgery. One of the pins broke while the surgeon was installing it. When the surgeon went to the waiting room to tell my wife that the surgery went well he told her about the broken pin saying that this was the first time this has ever happened to him and the pin was right where he wanted it so he was going to leave it there. When I went to get the other pin removed the surgeons asst. said that leaving the broken one in there was perfectly normal and that it happens all the time. I don't know weather the asst. was telling me that in hopes of me beleiving it and not telling a lawyer or what. The pin is in the index finger of mt right hand, and I am righthanded. My question is, will the pin being left in the finger affect my case and should I consult a lawyer about this? Thank You for your time.

Wornslick

Default Re: Broken Pin

My question is, will the pin being left in the finger affect my case and should I consult a lawyer about this? Thank You for your time.

You no doubt thought about this before posting your question...Do you honestly believe that the surgeon would actually leave the broken pin in your finger knowing that it would/could potentially cause you a problem?...AND, tell your wife, or anyone else for that matter, about this?
    Does the word "malpractice" ring any bells for you?

Affect on your case...there could potentially be an increase in your 'award', IF there is any consideration given in your PD/WPI rating.
    As WC is a 'no fault' system, and you had no reason for the pin prior to your work related injury. But, as you've been advised, a pin in a broken finger/digit is not an unusual factor. (even though it's a broken pin, it's still going to do the job as intended.)

Consentrate on your recovery, and RTW...asap! You're loosing money/wages while you are at home, and that money cannot be replaced...

Worn, the pin should not cause you a problem, and pins are left in all the time. BUT, in the unlikely event that you do experience problems, then perhaps it will need to be removed.

Keep in mind that you have five years from the date of your injury to re-open your case for "new and further" disability and/or "compensable consequences".

Thank You for your advice.

Wornslick, I may have been mistaken about the time fram under MISSOURI WC laws for the time frame to re-open, so I apologize. (Was thinking about California laws)... Ask a Certified WC attorney what the exact process is under Missouri WC law...