Default Have The New AMA Guides Come Out Yet?

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that there would be new AMA GUIDES comming out and I was wandering if they had come out yet and has anything changed in them.
    H.....

Default Re: Has The New AMA Guides Come Out Yet?

Yes it is available- sort of. The many states are reviewing the many changes, not much of which would affect an IW, more procedural refinement, and considering if they will adopt 6th ed. Training sessions for physicians are scheduled to begin soon for those of us who actually try to use the text correctly <g>. I imagine some states will start using fairly soon but most will not for awhile yet

HL, the AMA 6th Guides are out, BUT it depends if Tennessee has made a provision in the WC Statutes that says that when NEW AMA Revised Editions are released, that the NEW Revised Guides will be used instead, and on WHAT date, and for WHAT dates of injuries...

If this is NOT a provision under current Tennessee Statutes, then you are stuck with the AMA 5th, UNTIL the Tennessee Legislature changes/amends that particular code, and INCLUDES the timeframe of your DOI as one that the AMA6th will apply to.

NONE of the AMA Guides can be obtained on the internet for FREE, and they are NOT CHEAP if you want to purchase them on your own.However, you might be a ble to find "bits and pieces" when they are referred to in other Forums, articles, etc.

You might try calling your local Law Library, and see if they have the AMA 6th yet...but BEWARE...even the AMA 6th has ERRORS in it, and until these are addressed, and an addendum (Errata) published, there will STILL be a lot of confusion as to the appropriate way to rate a particular impairment...

Where are our friends Complawyer, ForthePeople and JLJ?

If you ask a SPECIFIC question about your condition and how the AMA6th might be different from the AMA6th, and IF the AMA 6th is now being used under Tennesse WC Law, then maybe they can provide that information for you.

The parts I am reviewing does not change much of anything. Some CRPS clarification and re do chapter 17 so that it works the same way chapter 16 of the 5th ed did. Not much would change in the general medical chapters.

I heard that back impairments, upper extremity and a few other impairment ratings were increased, but knee impairments were decreased?

Under CRPS/RSD, I heard that the AM6th would be using the new IASP Guides (which were based on recommendations from the most recent Bhudapest Convention). Is this accurate?

The AMA 5th came under very heavy critisicm for requiring 8 concurrent objective signs out of 11 in order to diagnose CRPS, under the Upper Extremity Chapter, but the Neurology Chapter contradicts this, and the criteria comports more with IASP or Veldman..

Default Re: Have The New AMA Guides Come Out Yet?

That's fairly accurate. The CRPS section is changed.