Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Finally Surgery

just an update, i've been posting alot during my different steps prior to surgery. the surgery will be 24th of this month.TLIF of L4-5. kinda nervous! dr said he is gonna use a peek rather then titanum which is supposed to be better,easy to view thru xray to see progress of fusion. 3 to 5 days in hospital. he believes that he can get rid of 95% of my leg pain,which sounds great. i do have to say w/c has been very good to me so far. my work also is very supportive of me. i know it seems like along time coming but from reading so many post on here its actually hasn't been compared to others. lets hope this works and perhaps my life will be some what closer to what it was.........

Default Re: Finally Surgery!

Good luck. I had a two level cervical fusion (C5-C7) Nov 2006. I only had to stay in the hospital over night. I probably should have stayed another day but I insisted on going home. Workers comp and my company had been very good to me until they found out I had some permenant impairment. My injury happened in May 2005 and after surgery on my shoulder, neck and elbow I am finally at MMI. I will be having my benefit review meeting on the 31 of this month. I hope that everything goes well.

l5-s1 here two surgeries and still in pain.. good luck to you though every surgery is different.

slick, did it relieave your pain at all? he did tell my lower back will have some pain because its different( good days bad days ).alot of my pain is down my leg.it feels sometimes like it can just buckle under me. i've been still working during all of this so, in my mind i'd like to think maybe i'm some what conditioned. i've been on really low pain meds dr feels my pain when i do have the surgery will be easy to control.will see ........gonna try to stay positive

before my first surgery i was unable function due to the pain in my leg and back. after the surgery i walked out of the hospital with my head up high no pain. then few months later the same disk re-ruptured but not as bad. just had my second surgery in dec. but have complications from this one. but as i said every surgery is different you always hope for the best but you fear the worst. just remember that it will relieave the nerve pain and a strong possibility that you will have a normal life after it. 1 out every 10 surgeries might have a patient who will have to do it again, i guess i was the one. you will do fine i promise you that because everything is better then living at that kind of pain which is nothing compaired to the sugery..

my disc is gonna be completely taken out. then he said (surgeon) he will fill the space with protein then, take a small bone from the other side of my spine and keep in place with a plate. the plate is made out of a nylon type stuff . i think small screws too.(shims) two small incisions is all i'll have on both sides.so i guess if its completely taken out it can't be re-injured. either way as time gets closer the more i'll start freaken out.the thing he is putting in is called peek.

they were going to do a fusion on me also but because i am still too young they feel it is not necessary. go figure that one out... but they said if i keep blowing that disk out the next surgery will probally be a fusion. i know plenty of people who have had a fusion and they are doing so you should have no worries, just alittle more rehab time that is all. and the major plus is your leg will be gone. you will probally have alittle pain in your back when you get active but it is tolerable.

the doctor was telling me that also (being to young) too. i asked him wouldn't i heel quicker if am young. so he explained that i still have alot a years left to work so if you do have a fusion then you run the risk of blowing the next disc then next disc etc...i'm 43 and done physical work all my life. i guess it does make sense though. what i've read on line this is the average age of people who do have back injuries. i know i was doing someone else's job when i injured my back just to get it done. no more of that!

I was 43 when my accident happened, that was two years ago. I was hoping that the cervical fusion would help me get back to having a normal life, but instead it's the total opposite. I have two small children ages 7 and 4 and I depend on the help of my husband and family members to even care for them. I'm in constant pain and doctor says that I am MMI, and he can't do anymore for me. My company is not going to let me come back to work because of the extensive restrictions my doctor has given me. I had hoped that I would be able to work for another 15 to 20 years. The job I had paid very well I made $19 an hour and I know if I am able to work again I'll not find another job that pays that well. I can only hope that my WC settlement is good enough to help me pay off my house so we will be able to survive on my husbands income.

Good luck, I hope you have better results than I have.

thats awful ! is your pain worse now then before the surgery? from what i have read the settlements aren't that good. in fact i would rather have no money and have the open medical that they talk about. i don't think you get both.