Question Who Pays Doctor's Fees After Settlement

Okay, I finally received word today of the judges order for my settlement.....BTW, it took over a month after my hearing! Anyway, I will be receiving a "down payment" check in the mail from workers comp which my attorneys office wants me to hand deliver to their office so I can sign it over to them for them to get their cut. That is fine, I understand that. Now, either I have forgotten, or they never mentioned to me, that I would also be paying the doctors they sent me to out of my settlement. I assumed that was arranged and paid by the attorneys? Can somebody shed some light for me? I am wondering if I will have anything left over after they dole it all out!! I am glad to have finally gotten to this point, and although I only suffered bilateral carpal tunnel syndrome, it has dragged on for over 6 years and it is time to be moving on.
    Thanks for your input!!

Default Re: Who Pays Doctor's Fees After Settlement?

I hear what you are saying. I thought that my lawyer sending me to an independent examiner was included in his fees, but apparently not. I found this out AFTER the ruling, AFTER he got his check, and WHEN he has my "lump sum" check in his hand. It kinda ticked me off.... $475 for a doctor I didn't pick, had to suck up the travel expenses to go 200+ miles to/from (all while getting NO INCOME) - and it wasn't included in the lawyer's expenses he submitted?!

Is this just another way for the lawyers to cash in on our misfortune?

Instead of handing over the check to the attorney's you should have deposited it in your account and then paid them after they sent you a statement. Why would you hand them a check made out to you?

sad but real,look like everybody take advantage of misfortune. I am dealing with that right now. In an injury case everybody win rather than the injured person, who by the way has to deal with the pain when is cold,cloudy or so,not to mention that I got in a bad debt cause by my unemployment,wc doesnt agree with my injury, HR threats me all the time, I end in the credit bureau thanks to the negligence of my attorneys who told us they will protect us for the little payments that me and my husband couldn't paid anymore due to the fact of a long agony of pain,surgery and all those things everybody deal with in this cases,very expensive medications,doctors,etc. For their good luck I took the settlement deal suggested by my attorney who said that if I was needing the money so bad to pay my regular daily bills I better get what the other part offer to me. Unfortunatly we all need that money so bad after a long period of bills,unemployment and so that I am at this point tired dealing with colecting agencies that however I had no better choice. My concern now is that it has been 15 days since the settlement in the oklahoma court and not even a word from my attorney.That day in the court he told us that will take two weeks maximum 20 days to get the money and ask me to keep in contact ,but instead they dont pick up my calls, the attorney is ever available,the secretary is mean and rude when before was all nice and gentle.I hear from friends that sometimes attorneys receive the checks and keep or hide in their banks accounts and clear it whenever they wanted . I dont know where to go or get info about this issue. So why do I agree with the settlement if after all I am like at the beggining ? Please if somebody can help me with advices !!! The only thing make me keep strong is my faith in God and that people like this without heart can escape from law system justice but THEY WILL NOT ESCAPE FROM GOD JUSTICE
    thanks for your time

GHQUEEN
    May 16/08

I'm still getting a collection bill from a visit,I notified my att. and they have done nothing about it.

Quote Quoting caribouman View Post
    Instead of handing over the check to the attorney's you should have deposited it in your account and then paid them after they sent you a statement. Why would you hand them a check made out to you?

I wish it were that simple, but no... the insurance company will not send ANY check directly to me, now that a lawyer is involved. ALL checks (including my weekly ones) go through that office.

I was wondering who pays the medical bills as well, because I was under the impression that the job insurance picks up all of the medical bills. So out of the settlement the IW is responsible for attorneys fees, and the disability payments will also be deducted.

- - - Updated - - -

I signed a contract with my attorney for 10% and now he is asking for 15%.

onlyme
    who pays the medical bills
    The carrier is responsible for all bills prior to settlement.

I signed a contract with my attorney for 10% and now he is asking for 15%.
    Doesn't matter, all settlements are reviewed and approved by a judge - he won't get a dime more than worded in the retainer.
    Your attorney should go over all of this prior to settlement - you shouldn't be in the dark over anything.

Tony
    Moderator Responses are based on my personal bias, experience and research - They do not represent the views of the admin nor may be accepted in the legal community, always consult an attorney.