Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Benefits For Degenerative Diseases

    My workers compensation claim was made in the State of: SC

    My wife has worked as a medical transcriptionist for 16 years as both an employee and a contractor. Two weeks ago she was diagnosed with cervical spondylosis with severe DDD. She cannot use her right hand at all and the left is very weak. She works PT in a doctors office and at home for another Dr.

    Since she cannot work she has no income. Does she have any recourse in the WC system?

    Thanks for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: General WC Question

    To the best of my knowledge, spondylosis and DDD are degenerative, and come with ageing. Unless your wife has suffered from a fall or some form of trauma while at work, I doubt WC is liable.
    Some of the more educated members of this forum may weigh-in on your situation and have a different opinion.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006

    Default Re: General WC Question

    if the doctors believe her condition is due to her employment she has sufficient evidence to support a claim for work comp benefits.
    If her doctors support a work cause she should notify her employer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: General WC Question

    WC laws are state specific...and not all states provide for the same benefits.

    IF your wife has been an EE of this Dr. for a period of time, usually specified in the WC statutes, she could be entitled to WC benefits.

    If she is, it would/could be a CT/Cumulative Trauma 'injury'..meaning the condition/injury occured over time...the DOI would be the date the injury is reported.
    While there are issues to apportionment to cause of any PD due to this 'injury' the DDD/cervical spondylosis, IF she is determined to have a claim, the medical treatment cannot be apportioned.
    This ER would be liable for the treatment, but not ALL of any PD.

    At this point, she should file a ''first report of injury'' or the form specified by your state WC laws/statute. Go to the ER/IC's doctor if necessary and get a determination IF this is AOE/COE...(work related.)

    The only way you'll have a definative answer is to file the claim for WC benefits...

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-11-2017, 09:18 AM
  2. What Does 'Degenerative Arthritis and Disc Disease' Mean?
    By whitedovek in forum Medical Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM
  3. Pre-Existing Degenerative (Fill in Blank)
    By pibpd905 in forum Ohio
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-26-2009, 09:05 AM
  4. Comp Doctor Says Back Injury Is Degenerative
    By myhusbandgothurtbadly in forum South Carolina
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 02:33 PM
  5. Degenerative Disc Disease
    By margo in forum Wyoming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-24-2003, 02:39 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Find a Lawyer