Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Qualifiying For SSDI - Information And Resources

The following LINKS are SUPERB, and EXPLAIN HOW SSDI works, HOW to fill out the SSDI APPLICATIONS, and HOW and WHO can HELP you fill out the SSDI application and answer the NUMEROUS questions regarding your disability, like family and friends. They may have OBSERVED OTHER difficulties that you may have as a result of your disability, but may have forgotten, or are not even AWARE of!

When you get to the web-site, is in important that you access all the links which refer you to additional information! Read the ENTIRE WEB-SITE so that you have a BETTER understanding of WHY and HOW SSDI will USE the information in your medical records, your answers, your age, education and past work history when determining IF your application will be approved or NOT.

IF you are DENIED the first time around (which is SSDI's common "practice"), be SURE that you FILE THE RECONSIDERATION by the DEADLINE!

You ALSO have the RIGHT to find out WHO has actually done the REVIEW of your medical records/application! MANY times, this is performed by an SSDI EMPLOYEE, who is NOT A LICENSED MD!!!! Depending on the EXPERIENCE of the reviewer, and how KNOWLEDGEABLE the reviewer actually IS with COMPLICATED MEDICAL CONDITIONS/ISSUES, this ALONE could mean the difference between APPROVED or DENIED for SSDI!

YOU have the right to have your MEDICAL RECORDS AND YOUR APPLICATION REVIEWED BY AN SSDI STAFF DOCTOR!!!!! So, if the initial reviewer on your case WAS NOT A DOCTOR, then REQUEST ONE!! Send a letter to the actual OFFICE LOCATION where your Application is being reviewed, with your request to have a DOCTOR review your records/application to SSDI via US MAIL CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED.

www.disabilitysecrets.com

Here in ANOTHER GREAT web-site that actually PROVIDES the "CRITERIA", the Five-step APPROVAL PROCESS, qualifying conditions and OTHER conditions that aren't on their "list", SSDI'S DEFINITIONS of "sedentary", "light", etc, the GRID SYSTEM, and OTHER FACTORS and CHARTS that the SSDI reviewers USE when reviewing your MEDICAL RECORDS and your ANSWERS to the QUESTIONS asked by SSDI on the application~

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/index.html

YOU NEED to EXPLORE the ENTIRE SITE, because it is a WEALTH OF INFORMATION:

It ALSO explains HOW YOUR Doctors should complete the RFC FORMS that can be DOWNLOADED from this web-site, to SUBMIT TO SSDI...... By exploring the home-page and links, here is what one can find under "RFC FORMS":

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/rfc_forms.html

FOR EXAMPLE: "The first is a physical RFC. These are used to help determine how your condition physically limits you. There is usually categories with boxes to check that show your limitations. After a series of these the form will usually ask for the medical or clinical findings that support your doctor's conclusions. For example: One question will be are lifting and carrying affected by the claimants impairment? Occasionally ( very little up to 1/3 of 8 hour work day) less than 10 lbs, 10 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, 100 lbs or more. Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of 8 hour work day) less than 10 lbs, 10 lbs, 20 lbs, 25 lbs, 50 lbs, 100 lbs or more. Your doctor will check off which lifting limitation applies to you. Your doctor will have a series of other questions like this in different areas of functioning as well. The form will ask after each set of questions about the medical or clinical findings that support his assessment. You can download a physical RFC on this page......

The second is a mental RFC. This will help determine how a psychiatric condition limits you. This form is set up similar to the physical RFC except your the questions are different and the check mark boxes are different. There will be a series of questions like the following: Ability to carry out very short and simple instructions? There will then be a series of boxes like no limitations, slight limitation, moderate limitation, marked limitation, and extreme limitation. Again Social Security will ask after a series of these type questions what is the medical support for these findings.......

"So why do you need these? Because whether you are disabled or not will be based on how your medical conditions limit you. These forms show your doctors opinion of just that. Another reason you need them is because if you don't have them from your doctor I can assure you Social Security will have some filled out by Social Security consultative doctors and other Social Security employees. Do you want to rely on what they say your limitations are?" [Emphasis added]

The following is JUST a partial chart/ example of ONE of the "factors/charts" used when exploring the other links within the web-site! SSDI , as explained earlier, has a "FIVE STEP PROCESS", and SSDI must consider EVERYTHING concerning your medical conditions, your impairment etc, not only on a "isolated basis" but in COMBINATION when cosidering ALL the factors in your case.....

http://www.ultimatedisabilityguide.com/grid_rules.html

GRIDs for Sedentary Work

Rule
    Previous Work Experience
    Decision

Advanced Age
    Limited or less
    Unskilled or none
    Disabled

Advanced Age
    Limited or less
    Skilled or semiskilled-skills not transferable
    Disabled

Advanced Age
    Limited or less
    Skilled or semiskilled-skills transferable
    Not disabled

Advanced Age
    High school graduate or more-does not provide for direct entry into skilled work
    Unskilled or none
    Disabled

As more informative SSDI links are found, I will try and "bump" this post up and provide additional information about the SSDI process in this thread....

FEEL FREE to add any OTHER valuable information and LINKS that YOU have found about the SSDI process!
    Last edited by Charles Stevens; 07-25-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Default Re: Qualifiying For Ssdi Information And Resources

i will keep your info for future reference, thanks
    but im not that far yet, however, i think you can advice me on my dilema
    my state is texas: was hired at company last year-had surgery this year-not qualified for fmla yet, but did have a deadline to return to work. dr released me to work- a month later or so had an injury at work i was badly hurt AND surgery reopened-none the less-the state approved me for a second doctor after going through the nightmare of company doctor trying to put me back to work as of day 1-my question: now employer wants me to sign fmla papers to "protect my job" for 3 months I haven't started treatment yet
    do i have to sign those papers? im receiving tib, will it affect my weekly checks---i'll be waiting for answer please help!!!!

Delia: I am providing this link to the FMLA policy for your reading

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/regs/compliance/1421.htm scroll down to the FAQ's and someone did in fact inquire regarding WC and FMLA.

Now with that said understand it is not just as simple as the statement makes it sound. Why? because employers who employ more than 50 employees must also comply with the WC laws/statutes applicable to your particular situation. These large companies MUST participate in the interactive process when your doctor determines that you are medically stable to return to your place of employment.

Large companies have the ability to modify an employees work arrangement and may also have the ability to accomodate any restrictions as a direct result of your work related injury. Unlike small companies who do not have the flexibility of other jobs within the business structrue.

IF YOU choose to PROTECT your time away from work [even though it is a work related injury] your employer is required to continue to accrue you your earned benefits and pay for any health insurance premiums for the 12 week period. After the 12 week period if you are unable to return in a limited capacity then your employer can continue to offer you your health insurance but it would not be at the same premium because the employer is no longer required to pay that premium for you. Most often they offer COBRA coverage. Cobra coverage allows you to keep the same insurance for 18 months [but you pay a very high premium for it]

As I stated WC and FMLA can go hand in hand but for very different reasons. HR reps usually do not understand the differences they are more concerned with covering the EE's rump so as to show they complied with the Federal Medical Leave Act.

I would certainly contact the US dept of labor and inquire regarding your particular situation, that way you know up front what implications those papers your employer wants you to sign really mean.

Your TIB should not be affected as your employer is NOT paying you earned wages, your loss of wages most likely is paid from the employers insurance carrier [temporary disability replacement income - up to 66 2/3 of your actual earned income] dependent again on your states laws.

Best wishes and I hope that your injury recovers well.

RW
    Last edited by roofinfool; 07-25-2008 at 07:27 AM.

thanks for the reply i'll keep you posted

Delila, I will create a new thread for you to read/research about your rights under the ADA and returning to work with restrictions, the "interactive process", reasonable accomodation, "perceived impairment"/disabillity etc under Federal and State anti-disabilty discrimination laws.

If you should have any further questions about ADA, then respond under the new thread, ok?

As Roof's Wife has pointed out, MANY Employers and their HR Employees are either IGNORANT of the LAWS tht apply to their injured employees, OR, are BANKING on the fact that their Employees have NO CLUE WHATSOEVER what their RIGHTS REALLY ARE!!!

Therefore, it is IMPERATIVE that you start LEARNING as MUCH AS YOU CAN ASAP, not ONLY about the WC laws in YOUR State, but FMLA, ADA/State discrimination laws, etc!!!!

If you are NOT a CALIFORNIA IW, then you must find YOUR State's disability discrimination laws that apply. Just "google", and you will find it!

I was 46 when I applied for SSDI. After filling out all the necessary papers myself online I was called to come to the SSA Office. This took approx. 1 month.
    When my number was called at the SSA office, The lady pulled my application and we went over it. She told me it looks like you have a good case EXCEPT YOU ARE ONLY 46.
    Approx. 2 months later, I got a call from a man from the SSA and he told me my application was being looked at. He also made a point to tell me "YOU HAVE A GOOD CASE. I WILL TELL YOU MR. _______ THE MAGICAL AGE IS 50.
    Approx. 3 months later I was required to see a SS approved Physician.
    Approx.1 month later I received the dreaded letter DENIED!
    I secured a Attorney and appealed. 6 months later I received a court date.
    I go to the "place" where I am to see this Judge.
    30 minutes into waiting, A lady came in and ask my Attorney to come with her. She said the Judge wanted to see my Attorney only. My wife and I did not know what to think or expect.
    10 minutes later, My Attorney came back into the room and said "Well its over. The Judge said to expect his Verdict in approk 4-6 weeks and it would be A favorable decision. I received that letter 4 weeks later.
    Approx. 2 months later I received my Back Payment check. 1 week later I received my Rewards letter as SSA calls it. Yeah I got my back pay before the rewards letter.
    From the time I applied until I received my Back pay was approx 15 months.
    I was approved at 48 years old.
    If you are disabled,FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! I got knocked down 1 time but not knocked out. I finally won by Knockout.

Smack, YES, PERSEVERANCE and TENACITY is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL when applying for SSDI!!!! GOOD JOB!!!

Here are additional RESOURCES regarding SSDI:

The OFFICIAL GOVERNMENT SSI/SSDI Web-site:

http://www.ssa.gov/

ALSO, there is an EXCELLENT BOOK by Christopher Ball/ NOLO PRESS about the ENTIRE SSDI PROCESS! It is written in VERY easy to understand terms, like his book about California Workers Comp is.

You can find the SSDI NOLO book it at either www.nolopress.com or www.amazon.com

Charlie,
    I sure do appreciate you posting all this information. This is a trying time to respond to their disapproval. It has helped me a lot. You have put a lot of time in this. Thank you a bunch!!!!
    Lue

Quote Quoting smackman View Post
    I was 46 when I applied for SSDI. After filling out all the necessary papers myself online I was called to come to the SSA Office. This took approx. 1 month.
    When my number was called at the SSA office, The lady pulled my application and we went over it. She told me it looks like you have a good case EXCEPT YOU ARE ONLY 46.
    Approx. 2 months later, I got a call from a man from the SSA and he told me my application was being looked at. He also made a point to tell me "YOU HAVE A GOOD CASE. I WILL TELL YOU MR. _______ THE MAGICAL AGE IS 50.
    Approx. 3 months later I was required to see a SS approved Physician.
    Approx.1 month later I received the dreaded letter DENIED!
    I secured a Attorney and appealed. 6 months later I received a court date.
    I go to the "place" where I am to see this Judge.
    30 minutes into waiting, A lady came in and ask my Attorney to come with her. She said the Judge wanted to see my Attorney only. My wife and I did not know what to think or expect.
    10 minutes later, My Attorney came back into the room and said "Well its over. The Judge said to expect his Verdict in approk 4-6 weeks and it would be A favorable decision. I received that letter 4 weeks later.
    Approx. 2 months later I received my Back Payment check. 1 week later I received my Rewards letter as SSA calls it. Yeah I got my back pay before the rewards letter.
    From the time I applied until I received my Back pay was approx 15 months.
    I was approved at 48 years old.
    If you are disabled,FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! I got knocked down 1 time but not knocked out. I finally won by Knockout.

lucky i got hurt 2002 applied 2006 denied ssd appealed been waiting ever since for answer

Quote Quoting matty223 View Post
    lucky i got hurt 2002 applied 2006 denied ssd appealed been waiting ever since for answer
    I think it matters bigtime where you live in how fast you get to see the Judge. I thank God mine went as fast as it did. Good Luck.