Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Qualifiying For SSDI - Information And Resources

yeah thansk i live in new york must be my age turning 40

Arrow Re: Qualifiying For SSDI - Information And Resources

Quote Quoting matty223 View Post
    yeah thansk i live in new york must be my age turning 40
    Especially in the Buffalo area as I read it takes over 700 days for an ALJ hearing!

It really DOES matter where you live, and how swamped that particular SSDI office is! But, there is a procedure for expediting the review process through SSDI, if the WAIT is causing undue financial hardship...not sure how much FASTER you will have SSDI review your application, but ANYTHING is worth a try!

You can learn more about HOW to file a "HARDSHIP" request to SSDI Here:www.disabilitysecrets.com

SSA/SSDI does provide for some consideration due to 'hardship'... a search provides...http://www.socialsecurity.gov/compas...rt%20Ennis.pdf
    This is information on PAF/Patient Advocate Foundation.
    There are certain diseases/cancer where the process is expediated...for the obvious reasons...mostly as access to Medicare/Medicade can be obtained quicker in some cases.
    Usually this is due to medical concerns vs a cash benefit.

There may be a provision for a cash payment/advance from SSA/SSI for a 'hardship'...

The basic truth is, that applications for SSDI/SSI are tremendous in number, and and the backlog varies by area of the country.
    Contacting your elected representative/Congressman will sometimes help advance your application. Basically what that does is bring your file to the top of the heap...just like all the other applicants would like to see with their files.

If you read through the 'Disability Secrets" site, over and over again the information provided is that an application process simply takes time...
    When you call SSA offices, what they don't tell you is...
    As other sections of this website point out, social security disability applications are processed at an agency called Disability Determination Services (DDS), not at the social security office.
    And, in fact, aside from taking the initial disability application, the social security office has little to do with disability claims unless they are approved, at which time a CR (claims representative) handles the non-medical issues related to a case.

Therefore, while a disability case is pending, it is always best to contact DDS and speak to the disability examiner assigned to the case. Fortunately, the number for DDS can always be obtained from the social security office.
    The EE's at the local SSA office have little 'valid' information on the SSDI process...they only have 'averages' to offer, based on what memos they receive.

SSI does have some hardship information...http://www.socialsecurity.gov/OP_Hom...6/416-1245.htm

The bottom line is...
    Do disability examiners get to weed out these frivolous claims? No. They are required by law to give every case every benefit of the doubt. The consequence of having to fully examine every one of these types of claims almost guarantees that the wait for every other disability claimant will be long and unpleasant.

This is the reality regarding the social security disability system: a ton of frivolous cases which social security MUST give fair treatment to makes the wait LONG for every person who has a qualified and deserving case---and who is probably having severe financial problems as a result of their medical condition and inability to work. http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/why...s-so-long.html
    We're dealing with the federal government here... they don't just jump due to anyones difficulty but their own...

In ADDITION, you have the RIGHT to find out from SSA WHO is actually REVIEWING YOUR SSDI APPLICATION and MEDICAL RECORDS.

MOST of the "reviewers" are "glorified assistants" who have DUBIOUS medical expertise, particurly when it comes to COMPLICATED and/or "unusual" medical conditions! It is reather unsettling to think that THESE "reviewers" are struggling to get through, at times, VOLOUMINOUS medical records, so they can "check the boxes" and complete "Funtional Residual Capacity Forms", as well as the OTHER forms that are required during the "Five Step Process" that is used to determine if the indivual DOES or does NOT "meet the criteria".....

These "reviewers" are the ones who MAKE THE DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION whether or NOT your claim WILL or will NOT BE APPROVED!

Therefore, you MUST contact SSA/SSDI and inquire as to WHO IS ACTUALLY REVIEWING YOUR FILE!!!!

You have the RIGHT to request that an SSA DOCTOR/LICENSED MD do the ACTUAL CASE REVIEW!!!!!
    Last edited by Charles Stevens; 08-09-2008 at 08:55 AM.

I would file for ssdi depending on your rating and get a lawyer for that because you would be intitled to back pay. I know because I had a terrible acident on the job breaking my back and another body part and I work my own case and got good results. Just file for it now ,

Good Luck

Charles,

Thanks for all the great information. With regards to finding whom is reviewing my medical records, do I have to wait until the intial process and most likely, be denied (the 1st time) and then ask for a doctor to review my records. Or can I contact my local SS office and ask the question and request a physician and the initial review

Can I request a doctor to review my medical records when I first apply for benfits, or do I have to wait until I am most likely turned down the first time around.

RGN, sorry for the belated response....once you have filed your application with SSDI, give it a few weeks, and then you can ask SSDI WHO is reviewing your application. If it is NOT an SSDI Doctor, then you can request that an SSDI Doctor be the one who does the review of your ENTIRE application and medical records.

If you WAIT too long, it will only potentially DELAY the approval/denial process, and you do NOT want a DENIAL based on a NON-physician's review, because then you will have to file for a reconsideration, which will create even MORE delays....

And, don't forget to have YOUR DOCTORS PREPARE the "RESIDUAL FUNTIONAL CAPACITY FORMS" (RFUs), because you run the risk of a NON-physician "guestimating", and trying to figure out WHICH "box to check" on the RFU, based on THEIR "interpretation" of your medical records!!!!

If you haven't already done this, and you have sent in your Application already, you can ALWAYS download the RFUs on the link that has been previously provided, have your Doctors fill them out ASAP, and the go ahead and send the RFUs, along with any ADDITIONAL and CURRENT MEDICAL RECORDS , to the SSDI Office who is handling the review of your Application.

Just make SURE that you have ALL YOUR IDENTIFYING INFORMATION on your cover letter to SSDI, such as date of birth, SS# and contact ionformation.

Again, I apologise for the untimely response...

Good Luck, and keep us posted!

Charlie
    Last edited by Charles Stevens; 10-04-2008 at 10:12 AM.

I thought I would chime in on this topic. The following info. is for people that live in states that have a lump sum payment. It is to help not loose money from SSDI. It is mearly an example that people may want to print and show thier attorney. It comes from another forum that I visit.

Timoty Belt Attorney here at this Board, writes his client this way;

RE: Lump Sum affecting SSDI

Here is the language I use.

The parties agree the payment of $________________.00 represents payment of all future medical expenses and wage loss/indemnity claims payable to the Claimant for the rest of his or her natural life. Attorney's fees in the amount of $_________.00 are being deducted. No portion of this settlement is being specifically attributed to future medical expense. Accordingly, the Claimant will therefore net the sum of $__________.00 as payment for wage loss/indemnity benefits for the rest of his or her natural life. The Claimant is ________ (___) years old (born ________, 19___), and his remaining life expectancy is _____ years or ____ months (pursuant to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) Table 1 (All American Table), United States Life Tables, 2004. NVSR Volume 56, Number 9. 40 pp. (PHS) 2008-1120. (online version)). Therefore, even though the above amount is being paid in a lump sum, for the purpose of determining any offset by the Social Security Administration on account of the Claimant's receipt of this worker's compensation settlement, the Claimant's net payment of future wage loss/indemnity benefits in the lump sum of $______.00 over ___ months amounts to an equivalent monthly payment of $______ per month ($_____.00 divided by ___ months = $_____ per month). The commencement date represents the first day following the last payment of workers' compensation wage loss/indemnity benefits. The offset rate stated herein is set forth specifically to comply with the Social Security Administration's POMS Section DI - 52001.555 © (4). See Sanfilippo v. Barnhart, 325 F.3d 391 (3d Circuit 2003).