Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Work Comp System

You know i have read story after story about how bad people have had it with wc. Its to bad that all of us are treated like little kids and get put off until the very last minute, etc etc. Its not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its to bad that the laws for wc dont work for "THE INJURED". its not like any of us asked to "GET HURT" at work.

they pay us as little as possible like its going to BREAK them or something like that.

MY attorney goes to the state capital every year to try and fight for us "INJURED WORKERS", To try and see about getting some of the laws changed. But he strikes out everytime.

Seems to me with the election coming up that we the injured ought to be able to make our voices heard in washington.

There is the million man march, why cant all of us injured workers do the same thing, well i'll tell you why. "WE CANT AFFORD IT". it would be nice for all of us to show up on the white house lawn and make our voices heard

i recently had a rep for a congressmen or legislative rep come to my door wanting my vote and he asked me if i wanted to complain anything, i said you bet your ass i do.
    I said do something about the system the call workmens comp and do something about how bad we are treated as injured people

but im sure that it will fall on deaf ears

we should all get together and make calls to our local reps in our states. we should also write to the presidental canidates too and tell them how much we all would like for them to look back in to wc.

maybe im just blowing smoke i dont know, but it seems to me from everything that i have read online that something needs to be done. if i had the money and time, i would become an advocate for all of us, but it takes so much time and money, that its hard for just one person to do.

i would like to hear from other people out there that feel the same way.

Default Re: The Work Comp System

we the injured ought to be able to make our voices heard in washington.
    WC is a STATE issue, laws providing the requiements are enacted at the state level, WASH DC has nothing to do with any insurance mandates...everything is monitored by the states' dept of insurance.

You DO NOT want the federal government involved in your WC claim...never.
    You think this system is screwed up now...?
    The legislators who make the laws don't know anything about WC...what they go by is information provided by the IC lobbyists...those people don't know anything about what they lobby for.

There are post after post after post under "Reform and Advocacy'' on this board... read through those and add your comments...seems like every new member/IW has the same take on the system... everyone is going to become an 'advocate' when they get the money...

How did you vote on the last referendum on WC in Kansas...?
    Did you know or look into the issues surrounding WC and how the system works before you were injured on the job...?...or voted ?
    Do you know how much in WC premiums your ER pays for the coverage the IC provides...?
    Did you know how much in TTD/TPD/PD benefits you would be entitled to IF/When you suffered a work related injury...?
    When that candidate came to your door, did you ask how s/he would vote on the next WC issue in the legislature...or just state your complaints...?

I would bet the answer to each of those questions is ''no, I didn't think I would ever need to file a claim for workers compensation benefits..."

You don't need money to be an advocate...you need to talk to your family and friends and encourage them to investigate the laws being proposed, and the people running for office you are trusting to take care of ''us''...that's how to become an ''advocate''...

yeah your right on the questions you asked back most of the answers were no. except for the last one about them voting on issues.

and no i didnt care to much about the wc system until i got hurt. ive been injured off and on but not to the extent that i am now. in the past guess i just kinda expected my employer to cover my medical, when i got hurt.

Usually it was just a one visit to the doc. and that was it. nothing major.

But now, its a whole new story.
    as with most of us im sure that we didnt think to much about the wc until we all got hurt.

guess its kinda the story that you never use it you dont think about it. and thats probably true. i dont know.

guess thats why that not much is done with the system because it doesnt effect most americans, just a select few.

and BvIA,i think this quote "..seems like every new member/IW has the same take on the system... everyone is going to become an 'advocate' when they get the money..."
    was kinda rude. Maybe the truth, but still rude. Everyone on this website i would bet wishes that they would never have had to go and look for help or anything like that because they "got injured"

Dont get me wrong this website is great for all of us. and personally im glad its here. and yes you are right there are a ton of post on the "reform and advocacy" site.
    which i have read many of them.

I have noticed that you respond to many threads on this site, which is great, because i have read many thfeads where people are looking for answers or help or something and on many you put in your 2cents worth. you seem to know alot about different things. i think thats great. just out of curiosity, it says your a senoir member, how did you become one, and i dont recall why you are on here. were you also someone who filed a claim and the system failed you or what. just wondering.
    anyway, thanks for your resonse

If anyone of us could his or her plight published in thier state largest newspaper page one something would be done, but it will never happen.

WC has been stigmatized and injured worker are just using the system, just ask anyone!

yeah your right

candy,
    I've been dealing with this system in Calif since 1994...yes I am an IW just like you... and it took a long time to get anything done to secure my benefits...and I'm still working to a settlement that will fit my needs...the way I want them to be.

I dealt with SSA for several years...all the denials and hearing with a bitch of a ALJ...unfortunately she lived only a mile or so from me at the time... I'd run into her at the market now and then... wasn't a source of trouble.. but just the same,... it didn't endear us to one another.

Nothing I said to you was intended to be rude... what I was pointing out, you got... no one is much interested in WC and how benefits are provided until they suffer an injury at work...most people look at WC as ''welfare''...we know it's not.
    Look at how your friends...family treat you after your ''recovery'' goes on for several months. Even though you are waiting for authorization for treatement...they still see you as lingering, milking the system and not all that willing to RTW...

IF people would take the time to listen to the plights of IW's...there would definately be a greater understanding of how this shit works...rather doesn't work.

Yes...there are thousands, may be millions of claims all over the US that resolve every year where the EE/IW returns to work with out difficulty.
    What you see on a message board, everyone will have to agree is but a minute number of claims suffering problems...vs the number of claims filed each year...

As bad as the system is all over the country, and a hard as it is for IW's posting on a message board... and as inadequate as the benefits/treatment appear to be... there must be something working as intended or there would be thousands more on these boards.. and there would no doubt be a much longer waiting period to get a hearing for a judge to order the benefits paid.

There are 4100 members on this board...528 'active' members..you'd have to admit, there isn't a whole lot of stuff goin on...it would appear that while few EE's were interested enough prior to their injuries to care what the benefits amount to... not all that many are interested in becoming ''advocates'' for IW's once they RTW...

Thankfully, there are those among us that are willing to ''pay it forward'' ...
    you put in your 2cents worth. you seem to know alot about different things.
    The information I may provide here isn't necessarily my opinion.. but it is information an IW who would take the time can find on their own at their state web site...all the rules/regs/laws/codes governing Workers Compensation are avaliable on line.

BiVa
    yeah i agree with you 100%. and your right not to many people seem to be interested in the wc system, that is until they get hurt

and yes you are right to about what some family and friends think about people beng on wc. im lucky, everyone i know that knows that im on wc have been very supportive. they say they feel really bad that it happened
    and dont see it as welfare or milking the system.

I have yet to run across anyone in fact that has thought that way. most of the time if i run into someone and tell them what happened, what i hear is, "are they taking care of you and are you getting your weekly ttd and what is going to happen"

so i feel pretty lucky that i have support. i would say the only people that are thinking neg. is my employer. which i could care less what they think about it.

my employer thinks that the accident is "MY FAULT" well to hell with them. dont really care what they think.

you say that you've been fighting the system since 1994, that sucks. have you been able to rtw yet or are you at the point where you cant work.

i wasnt trying to be rude or anything,guess the comment just caught me off guard.
    and yes i guess the system does kinda work because as you stated if it didnt work at all, there would be more people invovled, so to speak.

i have been lucky, if thats what you want to call it, my attorney has been on board with me since the 5th day of my accident. and is still. there have been some problems that ive ran across, but most have just been getting them to pay for dr. visits.

im still awaiting things like getting them to agree for me to see certain docs
    and i know that my medical expenses have reached well over 100k in just 2 months.

i havent heard them bark to much about paying it yet. its taken about a month to get a hearing in court. i go next month.
    i can contribute most of things going right to my lawyer,
    and i encourage anyone out there who is hurt to get a lawyer on board asap

The Federal Government should offer it's protection when a given States "old boy network" becomes so powerful that a citizen is deprived of fundamental rights. When an insurance lobby becomes so powerful that any system set up to protect injured workers becomes so contorted that it fails in it's very purpose, to even a single person.
    Last edited by lost in connecticut; 08-17-2008 at 07:44 PM.

well, to lost in conn. your right too. seems like everyone thinks that they have the answer when really what seems to me is that THERE ISNT ONE

lost in cont. is right too. i think that if the wc system doesnt function at the local level, then it should be pushed up to the fed level.

apparently the system works to a point, but everything is so old that is on the books that something needs to be done, but apparently no one has the power to do anything.
    you have the lobbyist greasing palms, and dont say they dont, because everywhere in the goverment palms are greased to stop or start something.

we have a corrupt goverment and this nation is in such debt, that we may never see daylight(well i dont know how we(i) got on that subject)never mind

anyway, the system works for some (probably very few) but somewhere i guess its working to a point and then there are some of us where the system failed. its pretty much just like everything else. sometimes it works other times it doesnt.

anyways, i seriously doubt that the system will ever change, and if it does, it probably wont be changed in time to help those of us who need it now. probably wont be changed until our kids are old and they are unfortnutate enough to use the system

And one other thing. someone asked me if i had any idea on what kind of premiums that a company forked out for the wc coverage.

MY ANSWER IS "NO" and really for that matter nor do i care what they pay. i dont think that most companies pay their employee's enough anyway, because if it wasnt for us employee's to begin with they wouldnt have a business to begin with.

If they want to bitch and moan about how expensive wc insurance is cut the CEO'S salary's and all those other over paid jerkoffs that complain that they dont make enough money wa wa wa.

i was in buisiness for myself for 8 years and i know how expensive it is to be in business, and i didnt take a big salary and pay my people shit wages just so i could make a buck. i tried to be fair because i didnt forget where i came from and if it wasnt for my employee's i wouldnt be IN BUSINESS. if more employer's thought this way,maybe things wouldnt be so bad

But i can almost gurantee that someone will write from this and say that im completly wrong. and if so, well thats their opinion. and thats fine. let them voice their opinion thats what this board is for.
    so have at it

It's a pretty vicious circle. The money that should be in our pockets is being used to grease palms so laws can be passed to pay us even less so more palms can get greaed.

It's not the way our country is supposed to work, is it?

When I speak of federal intervention, I refer to the Constitution which exists so that corporate interests can be prevented from controlling the government from behind the scenes with money. Workers comp is a great example of citizens being deprived of fundamental rights by weak politicians beholden to dirty money. It has crossed a point where a reasonable person would find it fair.